This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird… it’s a plane…Superman? Nope! It’s summer. So close, yet so far away, to swooping down and diminishing all of the stress from this school year. While mid-April marks the end of the semester for those not dealing with May-term, there are still plenty of students who need to hang in there for those extra few weeks. On the bright side, the weather will be delightful. On the down-side, you won’t be able to dance around on the ocean shore quite yet. But not to worry! There are still plenty of ways you can bask in the much needed sunny weather while maintaining your motivation as well.

One of the things that makes Mary Baldwin so wonderful is the gorgeous view. Use that to your advantage as you study. Lay a blanket on the lawn and spread out with your books, or utilize the tables conveniently placed beside Grafton and Hunt. Either way, sitting outside while catching up on reading is the perfect way to soak up some vitamin D and catch a head start on your summer tan.

In addition, you’re going to need some brain food to push you through 100 pages of textbook reading, but luckily, this time of year is perfect for all of your favorite fruits! Strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, watermelon… eat them all! You can blend them together in a delicious smoothie and take it to go, or slice them up for a refreshing snack. Fruits contain several vitamins and antioxidants that help your body and keep you uplifted. Fruits also contain a lot of acid, so just make sure to chase them with water to protect your pearly whites!

But remember, with warm weather comes great responsibility. Working on that summer bod can be about as challenging as advanced calculus, but it’s scientifically proven that exercise can improve your mood and give you more energy. Rather than drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day, ditch some of that caffeine and take a run around campus. Enjoy the warm weather while building motivation for all that late-night studying.

At the end of the day (or night), when all of your responsibilities are taken care of, rest easy with knowing that you got yourself out in the sun and still kicked college’s ass. Sleep helps you store all the information you shoved into your brain, but it also speeds your metabolism, decreases water weight, and gives you a healthy glow. Sleep basically makes you look better and feel better, so don’t feel bad about getting your 8 hours a night.  

Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.