Campus Celebrity Emily Miller (’14)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Name: Emily Miller

Class: 2014

Major/Minor: History/French and Education

Hometown: Just outside of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 

Her Campus (HC): Why did you come to Mary Baldwin?

Emily Miller (EM): I’d come for field trips, when I was in high school, to the Black Friars Playhouse. I liked the town; that kind of drew me in. I got the kind of expedited application process, then I got to come and tour the campus and I really fell in love with it when I got to see it closer.

HC: Now that you’ve graduated, what are you working on?

EM: I work as an RA, I also work in the library, and I’m taking some classes to get an unofficial minor in political science. Also, I’m working on my Masters of Arts and Teaching, and I should graduate this December.

HC: What are you doing during the summer?

EM: Usually I work back home. I work for the Harrisburg Senators, which is a minor league team for the Washington Nationals. Last summer I did a buddy camp, which is a camp for students in fifth through eighth grade who are at risk of possibly not graduating. 

HC: What do you want to do when you’re finished with school?

EM: When I graduate I’d like to teach secondary social studies. 

HC: Have you always wanted to teach?

EM: No. But, I don’t really know what I wanted to do. I just sort of fell into it.

HC: What were you involved with on campus when you were an undergrad?

EM: I did a lot with SGA, and I worked in the library. I started with SGA my sophomore year with RHA. Then, I kind of worked my way up. I was SGA secretary and vice president my junior year, and president my senior year. 

HC: What did you like most about being SGA president?

EM: I got to learn about how the campus works from the inside, which was a lot of fun for me. It fascinates me to see how things run, so getting to see all of how Mary Baldwin works was a really neat experience.

HC: What’s your favorite Mary Baldwin memory?

EM: (Laughs) That’s a tough one. I think Junior Dads was probably my favorite. It was nice to get dressed up and see everyone together. 

HC: If you could change one thing about Mary Baldwin, what would it be?

EM: Overall I really like it. Not really anything, I guess.

HC: What advice do you have for current students?

EM: Make sure you take advantage of all the opportunities that you can early on. That was the thing I probably regretted most; I waited longer than I should have to get involved and to experience all taht the campus has to offer. So, not starting my freshman year kind of threw me off for the rest of it. I still feel like I had the full experience, I just wish I would’ve had those experiences my freshman year.

Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.