Campus Celebrity Damba Koroma (’15)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Name: Damba Koroma

Class: Senior

Major/Minor: Political Science

Birthplace: Sierra Leone, West Africa

Hometown: Alexandria, Virginia

Campus Involvement: Hall President, RHA Chairwoman, Basketball Manager 

Her Campus (HC): How did you choose Mary Baldwin College?

Damba Koroma (DK): I chose Mary Baldwin College because I fell in love with the campus and the beautiful scenery when I visited. The students were also very friendly and so were the faculty/staff I came across in my visitation. The curriculum also attracted me to the school and the fact that the school was a single sex institution was a plus.

HC:We hear you are at the helm of VACURH this year. What is VACURH?

DK: VACURH is the the Virginia Association of College and University Residence Halls and was created with three purposes in mind: to share information relating to the concerns of hall governments and hall programming, to represent students at a statewide level as an information source, and to lobby the General Assembly of the Commonwealth in the interests of students everywhere.VACURH also strives to be a body that appreciates, understands, and celebrates true diversity, in which individual differences are accepted and welcomed.  In order to accomplish this, VACURH acts assertively and proactively towards improving the knowledge and education of member schools in regards to the residence halls and community issues.  The General Assembly of VACURH also serves as a place where student concerns can be voiced and information can be shared on a statewide level. VACURH was created due to the interests of the Residence Hall Federation at Virginia Tech after Virginia Tech attended NACURH (the national conference) in 1982.  Virginia Tech wanted to unite the Virginia schools to take a stand on statewide issues.

HC: Why is VACURH good for Mary Baldwin? 

DK: VACURH taking place on Mary Baldwin’s campus means a lot because bigger institutions normally host this conference. It is a great opportunity to not only put MBC on the map, but to also show that small colleges and universities can do big things.

HC: Are you a part of Baldwin Program Board (BPB)?

DK: No ma’am I not. I am the Residence Hall Association (RHA) Chairwoman. Although, BPB and RHA are similar SGA organizations, but RHA is more focused on the halls with the Hall Presidents while BPB is more campus wide and does an event every week. RHA holds an event once a month as a whole and the Hall Presidents are required to put on at least one hall event a month.

HC: What is the best part of being a Mary Baldwin student?

DK: Having so many opportunities to spread your wings in the leadership world. There are many extracurricular activities that a person can get involved in. But, my favorite thing about being an MBC student is working with amazing and talented young women that dedicate themselves to leadership and being great role models. RHA has opened my eyes and helped me gain a lot of leadership qualities that I never thought I would gain. RHA has also made a people person and very patient, which are two qualities that I believe all great leaders have.

HC: What is your favorite Mary Baldwin memory?

DK: My favorite MBC memory is not only being part of a team that’s planning and soon will be executing VACURH, but also the amazing lifelong friends I have made and the amazing faculty/staff I have come to know and respect.  And of course, who could forget the first time they had to climb the beautiful stairs/hills of MBC every day to and from classes as a freshman.

HC: Why did you choose your major?

DK: I chose political science so that I may go to law school.  I have not decided yet what kind of law I want to study and practice but I do know that wherever my career path takes me, I hope it takes me to where I will be working with people from developing nations. I am a big humanitarian and there’s nothing more that I love than helping put smiles on the faces of people I do not know. It gives me a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment knowing that I have helped to make someone’s day. After graduation, I plan on taking a year or two off to do internships and get a job so that I may have some pocket money before I head off to grad school.

HC: What has been your biggest challenge as a Mary Baldwin student?

DK: Honestly, I do not think that I have had any big challenges. I don’t see challenges as challenges, but as motivation to keep me moving and on top of my game.

Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.