2 Exciting Events to End January

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Here on the Mary Baldwin Campus, January consists of two major Mary Baldwin traditions that are quickly approaching. The first major campus event that is coming up is Signature Ball, which will be on the 24th of January. Kwanzaa is the second major celebration, held on the 31st of January. Both events will be held in the Hunt Dining Hall, so seeing how the average place we eat on a daily basis can be transformed for these unique events will be a wonderful experience.

1. Signature Ball

Signature Ball is the main event for the Mary Baldwin tradition of Signature Ball Weekend. Signature Ball weekend begins on Friday night with events sponsored by the Baldwin Programming Board. The formal dance, which takes place on Saturday night, gives all of the students of Mary Baldwin the opportunity to dress to impress and gather for a night of good, clean fun. Signature Ball is the spring semester version of the Attack the SAC (Student Activities Center) event that was held during the fall semester. Now is a great time to start looking for outstanding outfits to wear on the night of Signature Ball!

2. Kwanzaa

This year Kwanzaa will be held in Hunt West on the 31st of January and will feature performances from many different groups of freshman. Dancing and speeches are among the few talents that will be showcased as the students explore and explain the principles of Kwanzaa: Unity, Self-Determination, Collective Work and Responsibility, Cooperative Economics, Purpose, Creativity, and Faith. All students are encouraged to attend and experience this event; especially because freshman involved have been putting in timeless amounts of work!

I am a freshman at Mary Baldwin College, who is majoring in Psychology with an Emphasis in Personnel Work. I have a passion for volunteer work; especially working with homeless individuals.
Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.