Ranking Grease Live’s Performances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

When Fox announced they were producing a live broadcast of Grease I like fan’s of the original film was incredible skeptical. However, the live performance exceeded my wildest expectations with standout performances from Aaron Tveit, Julianne Hough, Vanessa Hudgens and Jordan Fisher. The direction of Tommy Kail effortlessly integrated the element of live theater with film sets in the best made for tv musical to date. Check out our favorite performances of the night and some that fell flat.

14. All I Need is An Angel: Written specifically for the broadcast, Carly Rae Jepsen’s solo number simply fell flat amongst all of the other stellar numbers.

13. Beauty School Dropout: A classic from the original production, the concept of three teenage angels just seemed odd.

12. Freddy My Love: Keke Palmer shines in this number after one of the quickest costume changes in the show.

11. Look At Me I’m Sandra Dee: Vanessa Hudgens is funny, sarcastic and a hell of a singer as she mock’s Sandy.

10. Born to Hand Jive: The dancing takes center stage as Joe Jonas and his band DNCE sing this classic school dance tune as the cast performs their new take on the hand jive!

9. Hopelessly Devoted to You: Julianne Hough’s performance is almost identical to Olivia Newton-John’s 1978 performance in the original film. This moment brought an incredible moment of nostalgia and made it clear why Hough was cast as Sandy.

8. Grease Is the Word: A high energy opening number featuring the entire cast. Jessie J’s performance provides a behind the scenes look at the sets while she sings her heart out.

7. Sandy: If there was ever a doubt, Aaron Tveit can sing. The Broadway Alum’s solo number was touching and truly hit all of the right notes. 

6. Greased Lightning: The key to this number’s success lies in the execution of the choreography and the insanely quick costume changes!

5. You’re the One That I Want: The arrival of Bad Sandy signals the end of the school year at Rydell High and sadly the end of the production. Hough’s transformation is emphasized through incredible choreography and masterful camera angles.

4. We Go Together: The finale of the broadcast unites the entire cast for one last huge number. Especially unique is the use and participation of the live audience!

3. Summer Nights: The musical’s opening number set the tone for the entire broadcast: technically flawless with stellar vocals and choreography.

2. Those Magic Changes: Jordan Fisher stole the show as Doody and brought this traditionally background track to the forefront. This track is integrated effortlessly into Danny’s attempts to impress Sandy.

1. There Are Worse Things I Can Do: Vanessa Hudgen’s heartbreaking and beautiful rendition of Rizzo’s standout number was a both fan favorite and crtically acclaimed. 

Grease Live is available for pre-order on DVD or can be streamed online on Fox now!

Alexandra Goebelbecker is a senior Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Comprehensive Social Science Minor. She co-founded Her Campus Marywood in April 2015 with McKensie Curnow. She makes up 1/2 of political column, Back to Back with co-author, Anna Notchick. In addition she is an intern at Condron Media, Student Activities Shadow, President of service sorority, Alpha Sigma Psi, Vice President of Marywood's Chapter of PRSSA and AAF, and LYM Campus Crew Member. Additionally she is a former  HC Campus Expansion Assistant and current High School Program Mentor.  Her passions include pop culture, popcorn and politics.   For more of Alexandra's Work: https://alexandrajgoebelbecker.wordpress.com