Meet Torrie Valdes ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Name: Torrie Valdes

Graduation Year:  2018

Hometown: Staten Island, NY

Major: Communication Sciences and Disorders

Her Campus Marywood: Why did you choose to come to Marywood?

Torrie Valdes: I chose to come to Marywood because of my major. I’m studying to be a speech pathologist and work with young children. Marywood honestly wasn’t one of my top choices, I was flip-flopping between majors (speech pathology and film/writing). Everything worked out in the end and I’m very happy!

HC: What is your ultimate dream? All bets are off, you can be anything you want. What do you want to do?

TV: In my wildest dreams, I would be a speech pathologist AND a film director/screen play writer. That’d be in my own little perfect world.

HC: What is something you would say to your freshmen self?

TV: You can’t please everyone and it doesn’t matter what people think about you. Being the truest, rawest version of yourself is what’s most important and that is how you will want to be remembered.

HC: What is something you want to accomplish in your time here at Marywood?

TV: I really want to make an impact in my clinic work as a speech pathology student. I’ll be applying to the graduate program here in a short year and I hope that if/when I make it, I really connect with my future clients.

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

TV: In 10 years, I see myself as a mother. I literally cannot wait to be a mom. Seriously, best job in the whole world. 

HC: What is your favorite place on campus?

TV: Either the Learning Commons or my apartment in the Woodlands. Hanging out at the LC is fun because I always see people and wind up hanging out for hours and not completing any homework. 

HC: Coke or Pepsi?

TV: Sprite lol.

HC: What is something that youre better at than anyone you know?

TV: I’m really passionate about music, like I think I have a really crazy ability to find the perfect songs for playlists for any mood. Like car ride playlists, shower playlists, feel good playlists, crying-my-heart-out-over-him playlists

I'm a New Hampshire girl living in a Pennsylvania world. Lover of Harry Potter, the New England Patriots, and my bed. I think that about covers it.
Alexandra Goebelbecker is a senior Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Comprehensive Social Science Minor. She co-founded Her Campus Marywood in April 2015 with McKensie Curnow. She makes up 1/2 of political column, Back to Back with co-author, Anna Notchick. In addition she is an intern at Condron Media, Student Activities Shadow, President of service sorority, Alpha Sigma Psi, Vice President of Marywood's Chapter of PRSSA and AAF, and LYM Campus Crew Member. Additionally she is a former  HC Campus Expansion Assistant and current High School Program Mentor.  Her passions include pop culture, popcorn and politics.   For more of Alexandra's Work: https://alexandrajgoebelbecker.wordpress.com