Meet Kenny Doyle ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Name: Kenny Doyle

Hometown: Oceanside, NY

Major: Performance Studies

Graduation Year: 2018

Instagram Handle: personal – @kendoy14, fitness – @kenfit18

Her Campus (HC): “Thanks for sitting down with us today, Kenny.”

Kenny Doyle (KD): “Thank you for having me.”

HC: “So Kenny, what are you involved in on campus?”

KD: “On campus, I am involved in the Marywood Players, which is our campus student run theater group. I am vice president of the players. I also work in the Performing Arts Centers for concerts and I work lighting and sound for them. When the Nutcracker comes in along with other big shows, I help them get ready for them to come in and I also help post-show. Being a theatre major, I am also involved within the Black Box Theater and main stage. Sometimes, I am performing and sometimes, I am doing technical work.”

HC: “So you just went to KCACTF, a theatre festival, can you tell us what exactly that is?”

KD: “KCACTF is the easiest way to say The Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival. It is a theatre festival that is hosted through the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.. We are region 2 or the Northeast Region.It is 4 days and 4 nights of all things theatre. Workshops are offered from 8 o’clockl in the morning until 4 or 6 p.m.. That includes workshops for designers, technicians, actors, singers, and so much more. 

HC: “What did you do while you were there?”

KD: “At festival this year, I was only able to participate in one workshop called “The Cold Read Workshop”, which was run by Janice Goldberg, a director, playwright, and producer. I have been in contact with her since last year’s festival. For the remainder of the week, I was competing in the Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship Competition. As a nominee, I have to audition with 2 scenes, which I did with my scene partner, Sarah Wagner, and a monolougue. Each round is timed, which makes it very difficult to get in everything you need to in the given time. 200 people auditioned for the preliminary auditions for the competition and Sarah and I made it as far as the finals, where we were 1 of 16 groups in the region. I didn’t win, but it was a great experience overall.”

HC: “What do you think are the benefits of the theater program at Marywood?”

KD: “The greatest benefit is what most people think is the biggest downfall, which is our small numbers. Having a small department allows individualized attention. I truly believe this is how I have gotten to where I am in my acting education and career.”

HC: “Why did you chose Marywood?”

KD: “Though I knew Marywood was one of the smallest programs that I was auditioning for, I had the opportunity to sit and talk with Paulette Merchel. I truly felt that she cared about me and I had an overwhelming sense that something great was going to happen in my time at Marywood.

HC: “We heard you play some instruments too, what do you play and how long have you played?”

KD: “I play guitar, drums, and piano. I have been playing guitar since the first grade, drums since third grade. I took formal lessons for two months in middle school on piano and then learned the rest on my own.”

HC: “So, you were cast as George in Marywood’s production of Sunday in the Park with George, how are rehearsals going?”

KD: “Rehearsals are going really well and it’s scary that we only have a month to get the show up. It’s unfortunate that we only have two opportunities to show everyone this production that we care about so much but I have a great feeling about this show.

HC: “What exactly is Sunday in the Park with George about?”

KD: Sunday in the Park with George is the masterpiece of Steven Sondheim and James Lapine. They took the most famous paining of George Seurat and brought it to life giving background stories to each of the characters in the painting. The show uses abstract action to reflect on real life situations.”

HC: “When can people see the show?”

KD: “March 2nd and 3rd in the Sette LaVerghetta Center at Marywood University.”

HC: “Alright Kenny, last question, and let’s get serious, Chipotle or Moes?”

KD: “Am I supposed to give you a one word answer or can I explain?”

HC: “You can explain.”

KD: “Okay so… *clears throat* For me, Moe’s is close to home and I mean that literally. Back home, Moe’s is down the block from me and chipotle is about 4 blocks away. So it’s just easier to go to Moe’s. I like to say that Moe’s is the poor man’s Chipotle because it is a little bit cheaper and you don’t have to pay for chips. I also don’t like that Chipotle just assumes that everyone likes lime-flavored chips. I don’t like hint of lime chips. But, if I really had to chose I would go with…. Chipotle. But, Moe’s is still my homie.”