Marywood Celebrity: D.J. Boyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

In an interview at First Stop, Campus Celeb D.J. Boyer took a break from eating his quesadilla to talk with Her Campus about swimming, his Marywood experience, and some of his hobbies.

Name: D.J. Boyer

Year: Sophomore

Major: Nursing

Hometown: York, Pennsylvania

Her Campus(HC): Firstly, what does DJ stand for?

DJ Boyer (DJ): Donald Junior. My middle name is Arnold. I’m 19, straight out of York.

HC: Why did you decide to come to Marywood?

DJ: Well, I did my recruiting trip for the swim team. I really enjoyed meeting my friend Mikey Freeman there. I got to see campus more and meet a lot of friends I have now.

HC: What is the best thing about Marywood?

DJ: Best thing about Marywood… definitely not the mascot… definitely not the food… the ratio isn’t bad. Also, the people. I think a lot of the people here are really nice.

HC: What do you like to do around campus?

DJ: I’m a 2018 Class Senator for SGA. I helped out with orientation over the summer: I was an OL [Orientation Leader]. I’m a team leader for the 2016 Orientation, the undergrad representative for the Calendar Committee for SGA. I swim, lifeguard, and I look good every day. Well, like two days a week.

HC: What calls you to nursing?

DJ: I really like helping people. If someone gets into a car crash, I can help them. I’m interested in helping people and taking care of them, and I’m not smart enough to be a doctor. One day, I hope to get my Masters or Doctorate and be a nurse practitioner.

HC: How did you get into swimming?

DJ: My mom made me do it; she didn’t want me to drown at the beach. I’ve been stuck in this repeat cycle ever since. It’s funny because I teach lessons over the summer and when moms ask me how to get their kids swimming better, I say put them on a swim team.

HC: What is your favorite part of swimming?

DJ: The bonds that I build with my friends are my favorite part of swimming. Also, training trip. Training trip is eight days of Hell on the beach. The beach is my favorite part; swimming is not. We have two three-hour practices daily. One is from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., the other is 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. They’re harder than anything you’ve ever done.

HC: Why do you swim?

DJ: Because I really enjoy my friends on the team. That’s about it. If I didn’t do it, I’d be lonely, and DJ needs his company.

HC: When you’re not swimming, what do you do?

DJ: [Laughs.] You know, I help out at the local kitchen, read to the deaf, go to Above the Influence rallies. I actually lifeguard at the pool, and I tend to my studies. I have a 4.3 GPA.

HC: What is your relationship status?

DJ: Oh! I am beyond single, baby.

HC: What are you looking for romantically?

DJ: Something that doesn’t turn into a mess. Relationships never turn out good for me. My friend Ku [Campus Cutie Kwaku Dokyi] and I, we’re always going through hard times together. I mean, I guess I enjoy being single, but I’m waiting to find someone to change my mind.

HC: Would you rather sit and watch a movie or curl up with a book?

DJ: Oh… definitely a movie because I can talk to others, and I can text. With a book, you really have to concentrate on it.

HC: Favorite movie and why?

DJ: Stepbrothers. Why? Have you seen it?! Oh, and for the rest of the interview, you have to call me Nighthawk.

HC: No. What are you luckiest to have in life?

DJ: Definitely my little brother. He’s just always my friend I had growing up. The older we get, the closer we get. He’s 15 and he’s the man. I’m showing him the ways of the bachelor.

HC: Would you want to change something about yourself?

DJ: To be even friendlier and more open because sometimes, I get awkward and don’t talk to as many people as I should.

HC: What is your happiest memory?

DJ: Damn. Give me a minute… honestly, moving into college was a good one. It’s just such a big step and definitely really cool. Also, being interviewed.

Amanda Duncklee is a sophomore English and Communication Arts major who loves both the realistic and the imaginative. She can be found with a pen or a book in her hand and a story on her mind.
McKensie is a senior at Marywood University majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marywood which she co-founded in April 2015 with Alexandra Goebelbecker. McKensie also serves as a blogger for Frame Your Future, an anchor for TV-Marywood, Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Wood Word, and captain for Marywood's cheerleading squad.