Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Make the Most of a Single Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Sure, a Valentine’s Day with a special someone is ideal and the idea of it sounds so nice – the romantic gestures, the surprises, chocolates, candies, flowers, and the occasional cliché teddy bear. But what are you to do as a single gal? The love in the air gets irritating as you’re surrounded by lovey-dovey couples and it becomes depressing because you’re like “Um I wish I had that.” Trust me, I’ve been there. But just because you’re single on this day of love, does not mean you need to be all down in the dumps. Get up, get out and go do something.

Instead, make it a Galentine’s Day! I know people like to celebrate this the day before Valentine’s Day, but there’s nothing wrong with breaking the rules a little bit. Celebrate this day with your girls and show them the love and appreciation you have for them. You can even go the extra mile and surprise them with flowers. We all know they most definitely deserve it after all of the times you’ve complained about your love life to them. Girlfriends are the ones who get each other through everything; make the day about each other. Sit on the couch with a bowl of popcorn or a box of chocolate and watch rom-coms all night, because c’mon… who doesn’t love a good rom-com with your girls, where you just ask yourselves “Why can’t someone be the Landon to my Jamie?” You and your girls can even go out and have a dinner date because let’s be honest here… you and your best friends most definitely act like you’re in committed relationships too. Who needs a guy to cuddle with when you have your girls!

Three words: Treat Yo Self! Girls… it’s all about the self-love. That’s all you need. We don’t take enough time out of our lives to sit down and appreciate ourselves and love who we are. Use this day to appreciate everything you have in your life and to take care of yourself. It is such a rewarding feeling. And what better day to do it than on Valentine’s Day? Be happy you’re single and that you’re rid of your pesky exes. Wake up, buy yourself some chocolates, and pamper the hell out of yourself. If you want to know what I plan on doing, it’s this: buy myself flowers and chocolate. Flowers to decorate my apartment… obviously and chocolates because well, who doesn’t love chocolate? Then I’m going to give myself a face mask, since they fix literally everything wrong in your life. Or so that’s what I like to tell myself. It’s going to be a day of spoiling myself because I know I deserve it. We all need to love ourselves and who we have become. Cuddle up on your couch, watch your favorite movies or videos that make you happy and make you laugh. Read a good book or write in your journal. We’re all still so young. We need to reflect on how far we’ve made it  and how far we are going to go. Love yourself ladies. It is the best kind of therapy you can give yourself.

Christiane Lowcher is a double major in Criminal Justice & Sociology at Marywood University. Christiane has been the Captain of the Women's Golf Team at Marywood for three years. She is a lover of food, Netflix, and makeup. She's just a girl who's figuring her life out day by day and living by her motto, "You just gotta be happy with your life!" Instagram: c_lowcher Twitter: clowcherr