Global Citizen Festival Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

By: Megan Mcdonald

Global Citizen Festival is a music festival held in New York City during the month of September. The festival is completely free and in order to win tickets to the show, each concertgoer must complete actions that contribute to global change in the world.

These actions include signing petitions, calling local government officials, and tweeting world leaders. The headliners for this year’s festival included The Killers, Green Day, The Lumineers, The Chainsmokers, and Stevie Wonder. Plenty of other celebrities and activists, such as Demi Lovato, Priyanka Chopra, and Jane Goodall also made an appearance at the show. The show had nearly 60,000 attendees and was also broadcasted on YouTube and NBC.

As a music lover and somebody who wants to make a difference in the world, this festival is very important to me. It uses music to unite us all, while shining a light on issues that affect our communities every single day. This was my third year attending the show and I don’t plan on it being my last! You can check out ways to take action and win awesome prizes at http://globalcitizen.org