sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Halloween Movie Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

If you love Halloween as much as I do, then October is your favorite time of the year. I spend all year looking forward to pumpkin carving, haunted houses and costume parties, and especially watching Halloween themed movies. From scary to funny and everything in between, here is the one and only Halloween movie marathon you’ll need in your life. 

1. The Craft (1996)

Teen witches with 90’s Goth grunge attire? Yes, most definitely yes. It’s Mean Girls with magic spells — the perfect film to start your night in with friends.

2. Babadook (2014)

This Australian horror flick will get your heart pumping. With creative storytelling tactics and terrifying sound effects, you’ll feel just as scared of the monster in the closet as the mother and son being haunted do.

3. Cabin in the Woods (2011)

College kids… in a cabin…in the woods…at night. What more can I say? This movie will have you laughing and screaming at unexpected moments. It’s scary yet completely ironic, taking cues from classic horror films and making sure that you know they know they’re doing it.

4. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

An oldie but a goodie, you’ll get chills in this suspenseful movie about a woman who’s offspring is not of this world.

5. Insidious (2010)

Insidious makes references to the famous “Poltergeist” but takes things to the next level. You won’t be able to sleep at night after watching this flick about ghosts and sleep walking to the other side.

6. Hocus Pocus (1993)

The best of the best, you’ve seen Hocus Pocus a million times but you’ll watch it again. Thackery Binks is your bae.

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

After watching Houcus Pocus, you might as well stay in throwback mode and appreciate some good ol’ Tim Burton.

8. The Addams Family (1991)

Angelica Houston is iconic as Morticia, and we’ve all felt like Wednesday Addams at some point in our lives. No spooky family could be more loved.

9. Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Tim Burton’s take on the classic tale of the headless horseman is scary, fascinating and exciting all at the same time. Plus, Johnny Depp and miss Wednesday Adams herself, Christina Ricci, are in it.

10. The Shining (1980)

Stanley Kubrick’s creepy, trippy, scream-filled masterpiece. If you like film as an art form, this one is most definitely for you.

11. Underworld (2003)

Kate Beckinsale is a vampire warrior princess and she will blow your mind. Action-packed and full of werewolf-vampire battle, this film also has a prequel and two sequels to follow.

12. Scream (1996)

Teens are being stalked by a killer who know way too much horror movie trivia. You’ll recognize Courtney Cox and Drew Barrymore, amongst other Hollywood starlets in this scary blockbuster.

13. The Exorcist (1973)

The scariest movie of all time (acording to your parents), the Exorsist invented its genre, and has been copied countless times. But it is the original of its kind and will scare you despite its lack of special effects.

Growing up in a free-spirited family, Amanda was always interested in the arts, whether it was writing, painting or making movies with her friends. She is a graphic design major who has a passion for fashion, film, and all things fantasy. After graduating from University she plans on pursuing a career in design, and to continue writing for pleasure (or profit!).