andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Traditional Dating Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

In this technological age, everything is done online from shopping to dating. But much like shopping, dating does not have to be done solely online! You can meet your future suitor like your grandparents did, in person. It is not unachievable but doing so in this day and age where everyone is connected to a phone (including myself) may be a challenge. So I took the challenge to stop using dating apps and start going out and meeting people the traditional way. It was not always easier and I faced many challenges but overall it was an interesting experience to have.

Step 1: Finding the Right Places

Location is everything when meeting guys. Go somewhere guys would be drawn to but also go to the type of places where you would want your potential mate to be. Find local events where you can go to such as festivals or concerts where you would find someone with similar taste. The Yelp app can really help when it comes to choosing a place to go but remember the ultimate decision is up to you. If you frequent the same place, you may run into the same guys. Always try to switch it up on where you go so that you can always meet a fresh new crowd.

When it comes to myself, I started going out to lounges that played good music, and is frequented by people I would want to surround myself with. This is something I saw myself as and wanted to be surrounded by. I also use Yelp, in addition to word of mouth, when it comes to finding hot spots to go to with people my age.

Step 2: Wingman or woman

Always have a wingman or woman to help you out. This person will know when to give you space and how to make you flourish. It will also probably be your best friend who can pick up on if you are feeling a guy or not. They will be your biggest saving grace.

When it comes to my friends, they do a pretty good job of giving me space when I need it and getting me out of bad situations when meeting guys. I would not have enough courage to meet guys if it were not for them. They can pick up on things that I sometimes don’t and having them as my wingmen contribute to my success.  

Step 3: Be Open

This is just a friendly disclaimer that you may not meet the one. You may not meet anyone you would want to go out with.There is a possibility you may meet nothing but losers but these losers can help you pass the time. Dating the traditional way really takes patience. There will be a lot of trial and error when it comes to traditional dating but you must be open. What may seem like a loser could be your future boyfriend/girlfriend five years down the road. You have to be open to getting to know this person.

For my own personal spin, I have met so many losers but I at least gave them a try. When dating online, I can tell if a guy is a loser from his first few messages but when talking to a guy in person it is not that simple. So I have to be open and be able to give my number out and talk to guys. Plus if a guy gets too crazy, I always have the option of blocking them.

Step 4: Have Fun

Remember to go out there and enjoy yourself. Maybe you aren’t trying to meet your future boo but just a friend you can have a good time with on the weekends. This is your opportunity and the ball is in your court. You will always make the decisions because this is your life. Just remember to go out there and have the best time of your life!

The takeaway: Overall, traditional dating is something that is not going to go away. I prefer it because the person has already met me, and clearly likes me aesthetically. So the feeling of nervousness on if they like me in person is not a major concern. We also must have something in common if we got this far so all of the fears are already gone. The only reason dating apps still have a place in my heart is because of how convenient it is. Sometimes I don’t feel like going out or constantly putting myself out there which is where non traditional dating comes into play. Either way, I will continue to be open to meeting people both ways and just have a good time.