This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

With  a new year beginning, it’s time to start it out right! Why not begin with new beauty ideas and upping the ante on your daily routine? Check out these top five beauty buys from HCMU that are sure to change your life this new year!

1.     The Naked Palette ($54)

The Naked palette is a beauty staple that every girl should have amongst her makeup collection. Complete with twelve eye shadows and a dual ended brush, this palette will allow you to achieve any look, whether you are a beginner or have doing makeup for years! The Naked palette was my first big makeup buy and it really was worth it. The colors are so pigmented and can work on any skin tone. The colors also compliment one another very nicely. Yes, it’s pricey, but honestly it is worth the 54 dollars and will literally last a lifetime. Also if you don’t care for this Naked palette or the colors in it, there are two other collections from Urban Decay Naked! So go on girl and add one to your makeup collection today!

2.     The Instawave ($49.99)

The contraption you see above is what I like to call the lazy girls gadget to curling hair. Yes, it looks scary, but it is the coolest curling wand to be created.  The Instawave is so effortless. All you have to do is press a button and the curler nicely wraps your hair around the heated barrel and voila, you get beautiful curls or waves. For most girls curling hair can be a hassle leaving your arms tired from holding up the wand, but with the Instawave all you have to do is keep the wand upright and press the button, so there will be no sore arms after! This product makes getting ready in the morning a breeze and with a little bit of hairspray your curls or waves are sure to last all day!

3.     Covergirl Bombshell Volume Mascara ($8.99)

Have you ever wished of having lashes so nice that they look fake? Well you can actually achieve that with Covergirl’s Bombshell Volume Mascara! This dual ended mascara offers a light base coat to extend lashes and a thickening coat for volume. It is also fool-proof, with its numbered ends, so you know which one to apply first. For a drugstore brand mascara this bad boy is great quality and leaves lashes clump free. To even go the extra mile, curl your lashes before applying. With or without curling, your lashes are sure to be fabulous, leaving everyone talking!

4.     Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo ($5.29)

Many people believe that clarifying shampoo is only good for those who have chemically treated hair or for swimmers exposed to chlorine. This is completely false! Clarifying shampoo is great for every woman out there. Lets be real ladies, whether we realize it or not, our hair has to put up with a lot! Clarifying shampoo really digs deep to cleanse the hair, break down and remove dirt, and get rid of product build up. This little miracle worker will leave your hair feeling fresh, clean, and lightweight and it also only has to be used once a week! Clarifying shampoo comes in a variety of brands and prices and can be found at any drugstore, but Neutrogena’s works just the same as the pricier versions.

5.     Essie’s 2014 Holiday Kit ($15)

If you’re tired of the typical Christmas greens and reds for your holiday nails, spice things up this year with Essie’s 2014 Holiday nail kit. This kit comes complete with four regular polishes and one glitter polish. The colors are very versatile and can be used year round, not just for the holidays! They are also the perfect size, as many girls never finish a full bottle of nail polish. Essie nail polish is also great quality so your manicure is sure to last through all the present wrapping and holiday festivities!