#ThrowbackThursday: 5 ways to Fit into the New Zealand Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Kia Ora (Hello/Welcome)! I’m here! I’m in New Zealand! I’m on the other side of the world, where everything is upside down—winter is summer and I can see Antarctica on a good day (totally kidding about the last part). My choice of New Zealand for study abroad was completely random but the best decision I have ever made. I arrived with a mindset things will be different, of course, I’m in a foreign country. When I actually got here, the little cultural differences I encountered everyday always made me take a step back and think WHOA, that’s so crazy! Here are some tips I picked up during my time at Otago University. (Oh by the way, Kiwi refers to people from New Zealand, derived from the flightless native bird and not the fruit.)

1. Barefoot or nawww?

Auckland the biggest city in New Zealand, has a population of about 1.3 million people and probably has the highest population of people who walk around barefoot. What! How does anybody feel comfortable walking barefoot in a CITY? But wait, this isn’t just in Auckland, it’s everywhere. When I came down to Dunedin (located on the South Island, pronounced doo-knee-din), there were still people walking around barefoot, so my friend and I decided to try it. I was walking back from the New World, grocery store, and I probably made it for a block before my feet couldn’t handle the pieces of broken glass all over the sidewalks. Nope, not doing that again. At least I tried to be a Kiwi, right?

2. BYO….everything?

BYO dinner? Okay. BYO everything? Yes!… said no American student ever. BYO basically means bring your own beverage (juice, milk, water *cough cough*alcohol). And I am not just talking college house parties, I’m talking about no beverages provided anywhere—even during school events. So you feed us but don’t provide drinks? Parties and heading to bar is a whole other story! As one of my program coordinator said, “Do not yes to a drink if you don’t plan on saying yes to anything else that night.” Yikes! That will take a little time getting used to.

3. The Early Bird Gets to Shop

Oh, so you want to do a little evening shopping? Yeah, that’s not going to happen since all the stores close at 5 or early. What?

Trying to go shopping here feels like Sunday in the States. The only stores open are grocery stores and Night n Day (aka 7-eleven), the only thing open for 24 hours.

4. Dress Appropriately

Did I mention its summer here? Locals can spot an international from a mile away on a hot day because they will be wearing a sweater in 50 degree weather, which is quite cold to an international like myself. While the Kiwis frolic around in their shorts, dresses, tank tops, and jandals, the international exchange students are walking around in thick cardigans. Oh and when 60 degree hits, its scorching hot for Kiwis. Dunedin weather is kind of crazy— kidding, it’s entirely crazy. One second, the sun is shining and then it’s heavily pouring down rain.

You are a true Kiwi if you own at least one pair of these shoes or a pair of white converse. And if you are a boy, you will be wearing stubbies or jorts (See the list below to understand the Kiwi lingo).

5. Learn the Lingo

The best part of New Zealand is learning their lingo. Here’s a few terms I’ve picked up so far:

• Keen = up for it (Kiwis use this word so much)  Ex: Yeah I’m keen on going tramping in Fiordland (And yes, I’m really up for going tramping in Fiordland)
  • Kia Ora! = Welcome or hello (but the direct translation is Be well/healthy)
  • Heaps = A lot of things Ex. There are heaps of international students here.
  • Sweet as = Awesome
  • Uni = College or campus Ex. I live so close to uni
  • Papers = A courses/class
  • Judder bars = Speed bumps
  • Fizzie = Soda
  • Jerseys/ Jumpers = Sweater or cardigan
  • Togs = Bbathing suit
  • Mean = Super cool
  • Jandals = Sandals
  • Cheers = Thank you (used very often)
  • Entrée = Appetizer
  • Good on you = Ggood job
  • Chilly bin = Cooler
  • Stubbies = Very short shorts (often worn by guys)
  • Chips (pronounced “chups”) = French fries
  • Gumboots = Rainboots

New Zealand has been spectacular so far and I’m keen on going on more Kiwi adventures so my experience is just going to keep getting better and better. One of my program coordinators Rachel said, “The culture here is not wrong, it’s just different.” For sure, it is definitely different here, but in the best way possible and I love all of it!

Hi! I'm Kritika Shrestha, a sophmore Biology major, and I am currently studying abroad in New Zealand so Kia Ora!
Hi!  My name's Terri and I'm a senior at Marymount University majoring in Health Promotion with a minor in Public Health. I'm obsessed with traveling, thrifting, tea, and writing.  I am the current campus correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. After graduation I hope to leave my mark on the world in a BIG way!