Stuck in Music Rut? Update Your Playlists with These Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Are you tired of listening to the same music that comes on the radio? Well it is time to step out of your comfort zone and update your iTunes music list. Here are a few ways to expand your music taste!

1. Spotify – Discover Weekly

If you have a Spotify account with your own playlist then Spotify will give you related artist and songs to listen to weekly. This can help you discover music by an artist you never heard or bring back throwback songs you forgot you use to listen to. They will also recommend albums that may match your music taste.

2. Pandora – Radio

Pick your favorite artist radio station and listen to other songs by people in the same genre. Make sure to like the song (by pushing the thumbs up button) just in case you want to listen to it later. Spotify has this feature as well.

3. Pitchfork – Reviews

Pitchfork can be a wonderful source for finding new artist. They give album reviews in which they rate and give you great information and background on the work behind the albums. Don’t let the ratings sway you away from listening to some of the albums because you can form your own opinion. They have various links on their page that can direct you to more music, so have a ball finding certain artist.

4. Youtube – Recommended

Youtube is notorious for recommending videos based off of what you like or have previously watched.  You can spend hours going off the things they have chosen for you. Take that time to make a playlist and enjoy some new artists.

5. Tumblr

Depending on who you follow, Tumblr can be a great resource for music. They have a variety of music blogs that fit a wide variety of genres. Just search your favorite artist and do some blog surfing. You are bound to find something that fits your taste. 

6. Friends

If you have any friends with music taste you admire, just ask them for some new artist or songs they are into. Most people would be flattered that you took the time to admire their taste in music. Even if you do not get into what they are into, it still can be a fun way to expand your knowledge on different music.