This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

For those of you that know me,  I’m a little bit of a makeup geek. I spend any free time I have watching YouTube videos that range from daily vlogs to makeup tutorials. Recently while watching YouTube I came across a video called “The Power of Makeup”. It has since become a series of videos by different women and men. In the video, the person uses makeup on one side of their face and leave the other half without. It goes to show how much makeup really can transform your look. 

The message I got from this video is one that I want to share with you all: makeup should not be a cover, but a sense of expression. Too often girls use makeup as a crutch. They believe it changes who they are and covers up all their insecurities. Girls believe guys will like their done up face better than their natural one. By no means am I saying makeup is wrong. Hello! I’m one of the biggest makeup geeks around! I just believe that makeup needs to be used with the right intentions, not used to cover up what someone perceives as “wrong” with them. That being said, I feel that it’s wrong for people to straight up say that girls shouldn’t wear makeup. For people like me, that would be taking away my creative nature. Regardless though, you are so beautiful with or without it. You are your own unique and great being. It is what is on the inside that matters!

The power of makeup to me is an art form. At one time in my life it was my crutch. I struggled deeply with self-confidence, but I was able to overcome it. Today, I use makeup as a sense of expression. Usually I go for a more natural look, especially when it comes to class, but occasionally I’ll spice things up or add a pop of color. When it comes to makeup, your face becomes the canvas and you are free to do as you choose. I’ve never been an artist when it comes to drawing or painting, but when it comes to makeup, I feel free and able to explore. It’s a great stress relief.    

Ladies, I want to leave you with this. Never define who you are with makeup or how you look, but define yourself by who you are on the inside. In the end, that is all that really matters. Love yourself and the skin that you’re in. For we are only given one body in this life, so have a little fun, keep it real, and protect it. You’re Beautiful!   

Watch the video below: