This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Name: Eva Anderson

Year: 2016, even though everyone thinks I’m a senior!

What’s your Major/Minor? Fashion Design

Where are you from? Bridgewater, Massachusetts

What activities are you involved in on campus? Currently I am on the ACE Executive Board, a Student Ambassador, an Orientation Team Leader, a model in Voyage to Utopia, a member of Fashion Club, and the Publicity Assistant in the Office of Campus Programs and Leadership Development; Previously, I was also a member of SGA.

What are some of your hobbies? Literally anything about being creative! I love sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting (I just taught myself how!), jewelry making… basically anything else like that! I also started blogging this summer (shameless personal plug: www.fromfarmtofab.blogspot.com). I’ve been really into that. I’m also crazy about yoga… legit crazy; it’s awesome!

What is your favorite part about being a leader on campus? My favorite part of being a leader is definitely the friendships I make. I love knowing a lot of people around campus. I couldn’t imagine not being able to say ‘hi’ to people as you pass them on campus.

Why did you choose to attend Marymount? I had entered one of my quilts in a show (how cool am I, right?) and one of the women there asked me about where I wanted to go to school. I told her I was interested in Savannah College of Art and Design in GA and Lasell College in Ma. She said that her son went to Marymount for Political Science and he always mentioned how good the Fashion program was. It peeked my interest enough to check out the website, and after being accepted to all three schools, I had a decision to make. I knew I wanted to go out of MA, so it was down to SCAD and MU. Due to financial issues, visiting either school wasn’t really in the cards, so I decided MU gave me the opportunity to have a general education. At SCAD I would have had an incredible art-centered education… but nothing more than that. MU gave me more options for my education. So, I deposited in March and my first time here was in June at orientation. I fell in love, and the rest is history because once you’re a Saint, you’re always a Saint!

How do you feel about living in a city compared to living on a farm? The city is definitely where the hustle-and-bustle happens. You can see so much more diversity within DC than my hometown (talk about a culture shock when I moved down here!). I love the city because of the fashion, DUH! People express themselves differently here. Compared to boots, work pants, flannels, belt buckles, t-shirts, and baseball hats that I had in high school…. the city life is a breathe of pleasantly fresh air.

What is your favorite thing about Marymount? I love the location. We are a little suburb of such an amazing city just minutes away. Being this close to the nations capital and the job opportunities that follow is an incredible advantage MU students have.

What is a typical day in your life like? Well let’s see… everyday is so different, but totally the same amount of business. Between classes, working 3 jobs, VTU practice, ACE events, and some babysitting gigs I have…. there is a very limited amount of time everyday that I am not working on something. #StudentLeaderProbs

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? In five years I’ll be 25/26… so call me crazy, but ideally I’d like to be married with some kids! My constant struggle that I have to deal with is the mental realization of wanting to be a famous designer, but also wanting to have a growing family. I realize that what I want to do professionally may not be realistic with my personal life… but hey, a girl can dream right?

What is your most memorable moment at Marymount?  Most memorable moment is definitely after New Student Orientation my sophomore year. It was my first summer being an OL and I was with the Parents. After the orientation was over, one of the moms came up to me and hugged me for a while. Then she said to me, with tears in her eyes, that hearing me talk about MU made her so confident in sending away her first son to college. It was incredible; best feeling a student leader can ask for.

What is your most embarrassing moment? My whole life’s kind of embarrassing soooo this is hard. It takes a lot for me to be embarrassed, but I guess this one time when I was younger I had to clean one of our chicken-coops and I wore crocs. That was a rough patch in my life.

How would you describe your style? Fabulous! Just kidding… but really, that’s all I aspire for. I don’t want to ever be caught in the same outfit as someone else, that’d be a nightmare come true. My style varies a lot, depending on my mood and/or clean laundry!

What have you been able to take away from your years so far at Marymount? So far I have been able to take away a sense of independence. I am not able to go home very often, so I have to learn to live away from the safety of my parents, and the comfort of familiarity. Since living here I can navigate any public transit, go to the hospital or doctor, even drive with 6 lanes of traffic (no MA does not have those interstates!).

What made you want to be a vegetarian? Well this is a loaded question. I’ll give you guys the condensed version…Some of you know, but I grew up with constant farm animals in and out of the back yard. Everything from goats, chickens, sheep, pigs, turkeys, rabbits, we even had a few geese at one point! The animals were primarily pets and/or 4-H project animals. However, every now and again we would have some animals sent to either the slaughter house or my Dad would slaughter them. Growing up it became normal to suddenly have the meat freezer in the basement full with a freshly slaughtered animal to last the fam a decent amount of time.

I have always been okay with family farms, or smaller farm bases that allow humane treatment of their meat animals. Factory farming is where I have an issue. Animals deserve to be treated humanely; whether its your family dog, or the turkey your family plans to have for Thanksgiving. No animal deserves to be fed extra hormones to grow 4x the size its legs can hold, just so it can be slaughtered in half the time of its usual development… even if it’s because it makes the ‘farm’ more money.

Because of these reasons, and several more, on March 15, 2009 I decided to completely alter my health by eliminating meat form my diet, and becoming a vegetarian. Now, 5 and a half years later, I’m proud to say I plan on remaining a vegetarian for many years to come.

What is your dream job and how do you think you’ll get there? My all time dream job would definitely be designing wedding dresses for around the world and evening gowns for celebrities to wear on the Red Carpet. I love the way women look when they try on the ‘perfect’ dress: their whole face lights up and their confidence grows! It’s an incredible thing, and I want  to help make these women feel beautiful and confident.

I don’t know how I am going to get there, and that’s so scary to me. But I know that I want this so bad and I will sew my little heart out until I get there! I am determined, and I have talent; the rest will come soon.

Who is your favorite celebrity and why? Beyonce. Because she’s fierce and fabulous, need I say more?

This or That

•         Kanye West or Brad Pitt? Kanye. Kanye. Kanye…. not even close.

•         Summer or Winter? Winter! I love the snow and getting all bundled up in layers!

Hot or Not

•         Sporty clothes? Unless you’re about to go the gym or practice… not.

•         Blazers and Skirts? Girl, you work that business profession attire! Hot.

If you could only use one word for the rest of your life, what would it be? Is that even a question?! Obviously it’d be… FABULOUS!

Just a member of the Marymount University HC Chapter!! xoxo