“The Hunting Ground” Invites You to End Rape Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Rape culture: its everywhere. At schools, in magazines, on TV and in the movies, rape culture is perpetuated and spread like wildfire. And college campuses, the place we call home, are now being referred to as “The Hunting Ground” in a revolutionary documentary that aired on CNN on November 22nd. The film was produced by three college students, — Annie Clark, Andrea Pino, and Sofie Karasek — each a rape victim and activist. They founded End Rape on Campus (EROC), which works to end campus sexual violence through direct support for survivors and their communities. “The Hunting Ground” is one of the many platforms used to spread their message: end campus assault and the epidemic that is rape.

Besides sharing incredibly personal and haunting stories, the women and men featured in the film displayed a profound amount of bravery by being able to come forward as a face for their cause. It is estimated that 1 in 5 women will be sexually assaulted in college. That means in a class of 30 students, 20 of which are female, it is probable that 4 of those female students have been raped. That’s a shocking number. And the facts and statistics don’t end there. As of November 4, 2015, there are 146 college and universities that are under investigation for the violation of Title IX (a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any education program or activity that receives federal funding). This means that 146 colleges are currently being investigated for their reluctance to address campus sexual assault and for their refusal to help rape victims seeking justice.

The lengths to which our colleges and universities go to cover up sexual assault raise some serious questions about the safety and ethics of our institutions. And the reactions the rape victims have had from fellow students after sharing their stories says how seriously our society devalues women as human beings. When a college administration blames the victim, whether it be for their drinking habits or dress style, they are allowing and supporting the rape culture at their university. By blaming the victim, dismissing the case, and excusing the perpetrator, they are saying that rape is okay, and that sexual assault is an accepted and even an encouraged behavior.

It is said that 8% of college men are student athletes, and that these student athletes commit 19% of rapes on campus. This is a prime example of how universities protect the rapist and devalue their female students. Student athletes are held on pedestals, treated like celebrities, and idolized because they create income and notoriety for the school. They are a treasured item. So when a female student like Erica Kinsman accuses a student athlete like Jameis Winston —a beloved quarterback at Florida State University — of rape, he is supported by the administration and by other students on campus. His DNA sample matched that of the one given in the Kinsman’s rape kit, yet the university dismissed his case because he refused to talk about it when they asked him what happened. Even the police did not act on information provided by Kinsman, and dismissed her case 66 days after the rape was reported without even interviewing Winston.

Kinsman’s case is just an example of how student athletes and males get away with rape without punishment. And although a very small percentage of men commit acts of sexual assault, those who do are typically repeat offenders. So when our justice system, school system, and peers blame the victim and not the assailant, we are sending a violent message to the women of America: you are unimportant, insignificant, and if and when you are assaulted, it is your fault.

The Hunting Ground is our call to arms. It is time for college women and men to take this situation into our own hands. Take action by speaking up, filing a claim or reporting a case of rape. Be kind, gentle, and supporting of victims. Be understanding and try to put yourself in their shoes: what would you do in their position? Go to http://endrapeoncampus.org/ to learn more about how you can make an impact at your campus or in your community. We at Marymount are a politically active group. Let us take this epidemic seriously. Sexual assault and rape on campus cannot go unnoticed and unpunished. Only yes means yes. 

Growing up in a free-spirited family, Amanda was always interested in the arts, whether it was writing, painting or making movies with her friends. She is a graphic design major who has a passion for fashion, film, and all things fantasy. After graduating from University she plans on pursuing a career in design, and to continue writing for pleasure (or profit!).