Holiday Shopping on a Collegiette’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

For a college student with limited funds, holiday shopping can be frustrating because you may know what you want to purchase for your loved ones, but you may not be able to afford it. These gift ideas are fun, yet practical. Plus, we all have that person in our lives who is simply impossible to buy a gift for- maybe it’s because they seem to have everything or they never really say exactly what they want when you ask them… Never fear, Julita and Amanda are here to help you.

For Female Friends:

When you have a best friend who has been in your life for years and is always there for you, a gift may not even be needed because your obvious bond with that person, speaks for itself. Yet, you love them to death, so you may want to splurge during the holiday season. Good news: you don’t have to! 

1. SEPHORA COLLECTION Color Play Eye Shadow Set – $25 (a $150 value)

This make-up set comes with a variety of bright, show stopping eye shadow colors. Luckily, because of the variety, colors are sure to work for any skin tone and be the perfect accessory for a holiday party or New Year’s get-together. 

2. Fossil iPhone 5 Case – $25

No matter what kind of phone you have, a case is always essential. We don’t know a person who hasn’t dropped their phone at least once. Not to mention, they accentuate your style and add some fun to your life. Plus, no more broken screens!

3. Pyramid Fucky Statement Necklace- 3.99

This statement necklace is a classic touch to accentuate an outfit. Perfect for a day out shopping or a visit with the family, it is casual enough to wear to the movies or on a nighttime date. It is affordable but glamorous for the price you pay.

Other options include small goodie bags of holiday chocolates, fun hair accessories, life-organizers and crafts kits. All are useful and exciting gifts that are sure to put a smile on your girlfriend’s face and meet your budget standards. 

[pagebreak]

For Boyfriends/Guy Friends:

Ah, and how should you go about buying a gift for your boyfriend, the sweet one and only stud muffin in your life? Well the answer to this question, according to our own concluded sentiments, is based on two things: how long you two have been together and how serious it is.

Keep it simple. It’s sweet to give him something that you can do together, like tickets to a local concert, a gift card to a restaurant that is nice but not overly extravagant, tickets to a game for his favorite sports team, or a mix tap that you two can jam to together… These gifts are also applicable to your awesome guy friends.

Our favorite picks for the guys in your life include:

1. Mix Pixie Mix Tape – Approximately $20-$30

For the hipster (the guy who spends his whole day at the local coffee shop and can’t put down his guitar): Mixpixie.com is an international European website in London that lets you customize a mix tape with songs of your choice and design a cool cover for the CD. No more hassle in making a mix tape, and a completely personal gift.

2. Nike 32OZ T1 Flow Water Bottle – $15

For the athletic bodybuilder or gym buff: workout clothes or a high quality water bottle are always a nice touch. This Nike water bottle is sure to be the perfect addition to his workout regimen.

3. National Geographic Subscription – $15-$20

For the intellectual: Books or a magazine subscription to National Geographic or National Review are a great gift idea. For a mere $15 dollars, he will receive a gift each month for the next year. What could be better than that?

[pagebreak]

For Family:

1. Shaving Cream Pump – $17

For your dad: The Art of Shaving has a wonderful selection of shaving products, from razors to creams. Although their soaps and razors can be quite expensive, this shaving cream is a reasonable price and a high quality purchase that comes in multiple scents. Your father (and your mother…) will surely appreciate it.

2. Water Lily Wine Stopper- $17

For your mom: Wine stoppers make an elegant and practical gift. Brighton has several wine stoppers in beautiful and intricate silver designs that will brighten and be the decorative cherry on top for any wine bottle. Who knew drinking could be so beautiful?

3. DIY French Macaron Kit 
– $25

For the crafty sibling or culinary cousin: This do-it-yourself macaroon kit is a Parisian delight that is bound to warm the heart of whomever you give it to. Macarons are sweet delicacies that are difficult to make, but with this kit to guide you through the process, you will be a professional in no time! 

[pagebreak]

For Co-workers:

The relationships between co-workers can involve a wide range of emotions from love to hate. If you wouldn’t consider a co-worker to be more than an acquaintance, then you don’t really need to get them a gift in the first place. However, if you are interested in taking that connection further, something small is always a nice touch that they will remember you for. Everybody likes music, so a safe bet is an iTunes gift card. They pick the music that they like, and you can also decide the amount of money that you want to put on it. A nice mug is also a good casual gift that is practical and will be used. The same goes for desk accessories, such as a business card holder, stationary, or a durable pen.

1. Multi Color Mustach Coffee Mugs- $32

For the whole office: The set of 6 stackable mugs and chrome holder was featured in People magazine. Pay one price for six co-workers and have a humorous collection of vibrant coffee mugs in your office or workspace. Everybody gets their own color, so there will be no mix-ups as to whose is whose. 

2. Business Card Holder in French Hot Pink- $16

For the artsy professional: This hot pink business card holder will not only make a professional statement but one of creativity and style. It is sure to look good on their desk and receive compliments. 

3. Vintage Desk Organizer- $16

For the benevolent boss: A desk organizer is a great way to get your boss’ untidy desk neat and back in order. This carved walnut organizer has a detailed ship design on it that is ornate yet distinguished and will make your boss seem all the more put-together. 

From your best friends, to your boyfriend, to relatives and co-workers, we hope this was a helpful guide for your shopping desires this holiday season!

Growing up in a free-spirited family, Amanda was always interested in the arts, whether it was writing, painting or making movies with her friends. She is a graphic design major who has a passion for fashion, film, and all things fantasy. After graduating from University she plans on pursuing a career in design, and to continue writing for pleasure (or profit!).
Linda Quinones is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. She is also a member of the executive board, specializing in recruitment for the Student Ambassador program. The 21 year old is originally from New York City and has dreams of working for Seventeen Magazine and making her mark in the fashion industry. She was raised by a single mother, whose hard work, sacrifice and independence inspires her everyday to be the best she can be.