Hear Him Roar: Gordon Baer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Name: Gordon Baer

Year: Junior

Hometown: Groveton, VA

Major: Politics, with a minor in Communications

Clubs, Organizations, and Teams: VP of Full Spectrum LGBT Student Association and the Public Relations Chair for SGA

What are a few of your hobbies?

I help run a non-profit:The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network of Northern Virginia. It provides resources for young people and schools to ensure that they are safe places to learn. When I am not fighting oppression, I am watching Netflix in the fetal position.

What is your favorite part about being a student leader?

I have a really loud voice, and in leadership roles it can be used for good. I can help people who need help, but cannot help themselves.

Why did you choose Marymount?

It is a small school near DC. I didn’t want to be lost in the crowd. I noticed in my public education earlier that I didn’t do well in large groups, and that I did better in small groups. Marymount provides very individualized education, and also small classes, which really benefits my learning style.

What is your favorite part of Marymount?

Everyone is very nice, They all hold the doors open, and say please and thank you.  You wouldn’t get that in a big school. It is very unique to MU, not only are we a small institution but we are a very diverse campus. But we still maintain our manners without any hang-ups, and I think that is really unique.

What is a typical day in the life for Gordon Baer?

I get up, slick my hair back, get dressed, grab some breakfast, and then either go to class or the SGA office. I do lunch, and talk with someone in an administrator, staff member, or student. I do office work and some errands. And then I collapse in the elevator on my way to Butler Hall, and slide into bed, and repeat it all again the next day.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Dead. In a ditch. Just kidding. I don’t know. I really love this region, so maybe some non-profit or for profit work somewhere near here that benefits the region. Maybe on the school board at some point. There are so many opportunities here.

What is your most memorable moment at Marymount?

I’d have to say getting on the SGA the first time. I got on for the first time last year, and its memorable because it was a start of the journey, and I think of where we were last year and where we are now with so many positive differences, and I smile.

What do you think your biggest take away will be from Marymount?

Working with people on different levels to solve problems. Its usually a very linear, scholarly education. I have also been able to practically apply newly gained skills, and refine them for future use.

What is your dream job, and how do you plan on getting it?

Governor’s manision, with brute force, dry wit, comedy, and satire. I would like to be a senator, or a governor, or live on Pennsylvania Avenue. The State Department would be cool to engage with other cultures and communities across the globe.

What is your favorite motto or quote?

“Talk loudly, but like no one is listening.” That is a personal mantra. It keeps me true to myself.