Dear X: A Letter to a Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

In a way, technology is the best and the worst thing to ever happen to hand-written letters. On one hand, technology has taken the place of snail mail with email and Facebook, and texting your friend a message is much more efficient than sending a hand-written note across the classroom. Yet, technology has made these letters so very special when we do get them, either from your family members or friends, you feel warmth from their sweet words and have your heart filled with the love you feel emanating from the pages. It’s something that I don’t think we should ever forget and should never take advantage of, especially because these letters may not be here in the years to come. Technology will completely take over one day. So don’t take these letters for granted, keep them in your drawer, read their words a few more times and write some of your own. I’ve written you a letter myself, for when you’re down anytime during your college years.  

(I’ve typed it out if my writing is unreadable):

Dear X Collegiette,

Life is what we make it. That’s what my mom says anyway.  Life throws difficulties at us & the way we react is how our circumstances form. I don’t know what you’re going through right now: maybe your best friend really isn’t the person you thought they were when you first met them freshman year; maybe your grades are slipping because of a large workload; maybe you’re realizing that your significant other can’t be what you need them to be, or maybe you’re going through something no one should ever have to go through- a death, an illness, a great ache that swallows you up every time you think about it. I know your heart is heavy, even when you don’t show it. I know only because I do the same. You put up walls for protection and you hide your tears in a steamy shower. You put on your headphones, smile at your friends like you’re supposed to do. But, the fake joy isn’t working.

I’m going to tell you right now that you can’t be perfect. You will never be the perfect daughter, friend, sister, girlfriend, student, or person. You will make mistakes, your heart will be tested, and you will go through things that will bring you to your knees. This is life, this is inevitable. I’m here to tell you that your bright future, your light at the end of that tunnel is worth it. So hold your head up, smile, laugh with your friends, feel the sun on your skin. Feel alive, because remember- life is what you make it.

xoxo, HCMU