Ciera Nicole: Miss D.C

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Name: Ciera Nicole 

Year you graduated Marymount: 2012

Major/ Minor: Fashion Merchandising/Communications

Organizations/ Club involvement while at Marymount: Fashion Club – Assistant Public Relations 2010-2011, Head Public Relations 2011-2012. The L.I.S.T. – Vice President 2010-2011, President 2011-2012.

Best experience/ thing at Marymount: Portfolio in Motion and Voyage to Utopia Fashion Shows. They allowed us as students to demonstrate our creativity through full fashion show productions.

How did Marymount help you prepare for the real world? Marymount helped me prepare for the real world by providing me with many leadership opportunities on campus. The most significant one I held was the position of both Head and Assistant Public Relations of the Marymount University Fashion Club. Under the direction of Dr. Pamela Stoessell, she made sure I was well equipped for the corporate public relations industry.

What are you doing now (and what does a typical day look like for you?) Currently, I am a Promotion Associate at Spearhead Marketing and Promotions. With Spearhead I execute various events for clients where we tailor programs specifically designed to reach and impact the intended consumer base. I also am Floor Supervisor at fashion retailer BCBG MAXAZRIA. In addition to my”normal jobs”, I am also the reigning Miss Maryland United States 2013. As Miss Maryland United States, I am an active participant in my community as well as the state of Maryland and the DC Metropolitan area. This title provides an avenue for me to give a voice to those needing to be heard, lend a hand to those less fortunate, and be a compass for those daring to dream. My platform is youth mentoring with a focus on inner city youth. The Miss United States system allows me, as well as women all over the country, to interact and discuss our achievements in service and volunteerism. There are no typical days with me, every day is something different!Have you appeared on TV/ in magazines/etc…? I have been featured in Self Magazine as well as Baltimore Magazine and the Baltimore Sun. I was also highlighted on CBS Baltimore for a segment where I participated in Career Day at my former high school, Baltimore City College High School. The Miss United States 2013 pageant, where I competed in July 2013, was also broadcasted on television.

Advice for Marymount Students: Never give up on your dreams. Anything that you desire is attainable!

*A huge Congratulations to Ciera for winning the Miss District of Colombia USA pageant on Sunday*

Linda Quinones is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. She is also a member of the executive board, specializing in recruitment for the Student Ambassador program. The 21 year old is originally from New York City and has dreams of working for Seventeen Magazine and making her mark in the fashion industry. She was raised by a single mother, whose hard work, sacrifice and independence inspires her everyday to be the best she can be.