The Best Foods to Keep Stashed in your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Let’s just have some real talk right now- food on campus gets old so quick. You’re busy, you’re broke, and you don’t want to keep eating the same old same old that’s being fed to you at the caf. On top of that, you gotta stay healthy! If you’re barely eating (and when you are, it’s super unhealthy) then it’s going to affect your immune system and make you more susceptible to getting sick. That’s the last thing you need, especially during finals week. Here are some cheap ways to keep some staples stocked up in your dorm room to help you get through the semester so you can stay on your grind and not let malnutrition and misery get in your way.

Peanut Butter, cashew butter, almond butter, etc.

It packs a lot of protein that will help you stay full and gives you energy. Peanut butter offers you a lot of options too- you can make a sandwich, you can eat it with fruit, crackers, or really just have a spoonful of it. If you’re not a fan of peanut butter and you have a couple extra dollars, go to Wegmans or Whole Foods and check out all the fancy, organic, somewhat healthy options that might make it more appealing to you. Basically what I’m trying to say is that peanut butter is trying to be your friend, so give it a chance.

Soup (NOT RAMEN)

Everyone talks about Ramen as the typical food for college students, and don’t get me wrong, it tastes great. But you’re not going to get much out of it. You can get really good soup at the grocery store that comes in a microwavable container and is going to have less GMO’s, sodium, and more protein/veggies. It’s not perfect, but you’re going to get more out of it in terms of your health.

Oatmeal

I used to think oatmeal was just a basic bitch food and was beyond boring and unappealing. But at the store there are tons of different options now that are great; you can virtually pick any flavor you want. That’s step one. Step two is to doctor it up. Add berries, cinnamon, pumpkin spice (spice aisle), vanilla, nuts and dried fruit, applesauce, etc. Oatmeal can fill you up and can actually be quite delicious if you add the right stuff to it.

Already popped popcorn

Snacking is a must, and there’s no shame in doing it. The smell of popcorn can be hard in a dorm style living situation because you’re dealing with people that may not like the smell. But there’s a huge variety of already popped popcorn and popcorn chips that are a little bit better for you than a bag of Doritos. Essentially, and I’m not saying that you have to do this, but you can eat a whole bag of popcorn and maybe throw some water to drink in there, and you really shouldn’t have any regrets. It’s a great snack food that’s going to fill the craving of salt, etc. without having to consume so many other unnecessary chemicals.

I hope some of these help and potentially bring you to even more possibilities to help you get through the rest of your semester and finals! Food is everything and it’s so hard to balance what tastes good and what’s healthy- especially in the college environment. These staples could definitely bring you through some rough moments when you’re at a loss. They constantly help out my roommate and I out and I hope they do the same for you!