Alice Carpenter: Student Ambassador Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.
We asked….and you answered. Here’s another Campus Celeb nomintaed by YOU!

“Alice is the best. She does like everything and does it so well. I’m so happy to be able to work with her and see how she improves everything she touches. She’s also hella funny and crazy smart. She has everything figured out for after she graduates and has def left her mark on this campus.”

Know anyone derving of the title “Campus Celeb”? Fill out this 100% anonymous nomination form!

HC: Introduce yourself.

AC: I’m a fast-talking senior with a lot to say. Most people know me as the loud girl who’s always running from place to place on campus, which isn’t false. I’m about to graduate with a degree in Information Technology. I have a full ride scholarship to Marymount, so I really wanted to make the best of my four years. I wanted to get involved, become a leader and stand out. I guess I’ve done that because I’m being interviewed for Campus Celeb. Hard work definitely pays off.

HC: Explain the Student Ambassador Program.

AC: The Student Ambassadors work in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and we give prospective students first-hand perspective of life at Marymount. In addition to tours, we run campus visit days, host prospective students overnight and go to college fairs and other recruiting events for Marymount. We also have really awesome jackets.

HC: Explain your position as Coordinator.

AC: As Coordinator, I wrangle the 30-some Student Ambassadors and tell them what’s what. I plan training, campus visit days and recruiting thanks to the help of my Executive Board. I also keep morale up with my lame jokes and puns.

HC: What fun stuff you get to do in this position?

AC: The Student Ambassadors have some of the biggest personalities on campus so when we’re all in the same room together things get rowdy. I always have a smile on my face when I’m with my amb fam.

HC: What’s your favorite part?

AC: My team. I really couldn’t ask for a better group of troublemakers.

HC: What’s your least favorite part?

AC: When I’m giving a tour to someone who clearly isn’t interested in Marymount, whether it’s because we’re too small of a campus or because we don’t have Greek life. Sometimes people just aren’t right for Marymount and that’s fine, but it’s not easy touring for an hour with someone who is never going to be as excited as you.

HC: Biggest misconception about being a Student Ambassador?

AC: That all we do is give tours. I’ve definitely had those weeks where it feels like that’s all I do, but the Student Ambassador program is so much more than that. It’s about engaging with current students and working alongside faculty and staff to show prospective students and their families what Marymount is about.

HC: Most embarrassing moment on tour?

AC: That would be my first group tour. Admissions has a reserved room that we use during tours to give an example of a freshman residence hall, and I didn’t read one of the emails that explained the showroom had changed location. Long story short, I accidentally broke into some unsuspecting girl’s room at 10 am on a Saturday. Sorry… Moral of the story? Read your emails, kids.

HC: Favorite counselor/staff member?

AC: Luckily I’m about to graduate so I don’t have to worry about retaliation for picking favorites, but it’s got to be Edwin at the front desk. He and I went abroad together when he was a student and we’ve been great friends ever since. Now I get the pleasure of working with him.

HC: Favorite ambassador?

AC: Now that’s not fair. My ambs are like my family, which is why I’ve acquired the nickname Mama Alice. But, if I really had to pick, I’d probably say my girl Keisha because she is the one who came up with that nickname. Plus, she’s one of the funniest and most passionate people I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

[Image Credit: Alice Carpenter]

Hi!  My name's Terri and I'm a senior at Marymount University majoring in Health Promotion with a minor in Public Health. I'm obsessed with traveling, thrifting, tea, and writing.  I am the current campus correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. After graduation I hope to leave my mark on the world in a BIG way!