8 Perks of Being a Commuter That Residents Wish They Had

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Being an on-campus resident, there are certain luxuries commuters have that residents don’t have the pleasure of enjoying. Living on campus has its benefits; I’ll give ya that. No crowded metros, no frantic 20 minute drives every morning, and the blissful option of taking naps in between classes. Despite this, there are things that commuters can do that residents only dream of!

1)  Your Accessible Food is actually Edible

Trips to the dining hall make me miss my mom’s cooking! For residents, all that’s edible is either overcooked pizza or Cocoa Puffs… The struggle is too real. 

2)  You Have Your Own Laundry Room

Dear residents: Do you leave your laundry sitting in the washer for 3 days at home? Nope, didn’t think so.

3)  You Can Sing/Dance Your Heart Out Without Judgment

This is pretty high up on my list. Being a musical theater kid in high school, walking around my house belting a tune without a care in the world was totally normal. When sharing a small living space with others, this discourages most of us from doing the same as we would alone.

4)  No Fire Drills For You 

What’s worse than being woken up by your own alarm every morning? Being awakened to shrill ringing at 3 am more often than you appreciate. It’s worse when it’s cold. It’s even worse when it’s not a drill… #LearnHowToMakePopcornPlease!

5)  You Have Your Own Room

Unless you’re a commuter sharing a room with a sibling, chances are you have your space that exudes serenity and a calm vibe. Dorm rooms, especially the small ones, almost never allow for this.

6)  You Have Your Own Bathroom

Sharing with three people or worse, twenty people is just too much! I’d rather have my own space to store my personal products, thanks!

7)  No Hall Meetings/Room Inspections

Even though they aren’t the worst thing in the world, they’re definitely an inconvenience for both the residents and RAs. What’s better is the absence of room inspections! These are not only nerve-wracking, they restrict freedom of expression! Stop hating on my vanilla scented candle. 

8)  No Crazy Neighbors

People partying nonstop at 2 am on a Monday night: I have zero tolerance for you.

Although both commuting and living on campus have their downfalls, we’ve gotta just make the best of it and remember that we are wayyyy to blessed to be stressed!  

Abigail is an MU junior majoring in fashion merchandising. She loves being a part of Her Campus and expressing her creativity through her love of writing. Additionally, she writes monthly editorials for College Fashionista, where she is a Style Guru. When she is not writing, you can find her singing, going hardcore preparing her dream wedding on Pinterest, reading Christian romance novels, and watching the most unrealistic reality television.