nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons to Stay Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Face it- either you or someone you know has faced one of the hottest topics and controversial issues before starting your career as an undergraduate: to stay with your high school sweetheart or to not stay with your high school sweetheart?

While many of us have experienced this soap opera, there have been others that achieved staying with their sweethearts amongst any drama that arose with it. I am here to tell you that it’s okay if you aren’t that couple, it may be the best for you! If you have just gotten out of a break up or have been single since starting college, here are six reasons why it is best to remain solo! 

1. The Turn Up is Real

No more waking up from your crazy night with 89 missed calls and a full voicemail box from a worrisome boyfriend/girlfriend! Starting college single will enable you to socialize with ease and without concern of any “rules” you feel you may have had to follow if you were in a relationship.

2.  Two Words: No Drama

Why come into college with drama when there’s a pretty big possibility that you will have your own drama between you and your randomly chosen roommate?

3.  That twin bed? All yours!

Yup, you read that right. Your twin bed is barely going to fit your custom tossing and turnings anyway.

4.  Leave the Insecurities at the door!

No more having to deal with your boyfriend/girlfriend freaking out if you didn’t text back within the first minute! This is college, you aren’t going to have time to deal with someone else’s problems. Trust me- you will have more than enough of your own.

5.  It’s time to sign up for clubs, not the Heartbreak Hotel

Joining clubs and organizations will give you more time for socializing, networking, and getting closer to your dreams. Clubs always have fundraising, promotions, and even provide opportunities for your future. Having a significant other isn’t going to make it to your resume!

6.  Independence is Sexy

I mean who doesn’t love an independent man or woman anyway? College is the perfect time for selfishness, socializing, curiosity, and freedom! If you are in a relationship, you may develop a great dependence on your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is the time for you begin to build yourself as a strong individual you were meant to be! Sometimes, relationships will only hold you back and stifle you from allowing yourself to thrive for success.

Whether you’re a starting freshman, or are all settled in and feel yourself going through these issues with your significant other, maybe it’s time for a new realization. These are only a few of the issues that I had to face when I felt I had made a great mistake of going into college with a relationship. We didn’t even make it to February and let me tell you- Valentine’s Day was not a celebration for me. It was super tough after being dependent on someone for so long. I was so thankful for my friends who distracted me by taking me out to the movies and filling me with all of the things I missed when I was in a relationship. I’m sure you’ve had a few loved ones tell you that being single is the way to go before you start your four years in such a different world than high school. Take it from someone who experienced her own Grammy-nominated soap opera, and really think about whether keeping your relationship is best for you. And if you are already single, keep doing you, girl.

Raised in the Latino and African American culture in New York and Jersey, Emoni enjoys the rush of competition, diversity, and aggressive ambition living near D.C and attending Marymount University. Blogging being her top expertise, she feels that it is important to focus on "edgy" topics that many of her colleagues discuss between dorm rooms today."I just believe that "playing it safe" with topics to write about won't get you noticed. Nowadays, Journalist recruiters are in search for innovative, detail-oriented and risky writers. I'm just here to bring some spice into writing and show readers the potential I have."With the hopes of blogging and writing articles for HerCampus within the Marymount Chapter, she hopes to soon pursue her career in being a Journalist/Writer for a well-known Non-profit organization.Be sure to check out upcoming blogs, and email emoni_tavarez@marymount.edu for future subjects you may want to read about!
Hi!  My name's Terri and I'm a senior at Marymount University majoring in Health Promotion with a minor in Public Health. I'm obsessed with traveling, thrifting, tea, and writing.  I am the current campus correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. After graduation I hope to leave my mark on the world in a BIG way!