5 Social Situations Reserved People Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

This article is for all of my fellow reserved folk out there. We may seem quiet or like we don’t have anything to say, but in reality we don’t think the world needs to know everything about us and our lives. This is why I want to share 5 social situations that us reserved people can understand! 

1. Family Get Togethers can be Draining

It’s not that you don’t love your family or want to be around them, it’s just that whenever you do see them they ask a lot of questions.  Sometimes, they even completely ignore you simply because they think you won’t talk or say much. It’s not that you don’t have a lot to say, it’s just that you don’t want to brag about your life. 

2. People Think You’re Snobby

Occasionally, once I get to know someone they say “I can’t believe you’re so nice!” and sometimes they even follow with, “since you’re so reserved I automatically assumed you were snobby or hated me”. Well thanks! 

3. Teacher’s Purposefully Call on You

I cannot tell you how many times professors randomly call on me and say “Sarah, what do you think about this or what do you have to say?” Maybe I don’t have anything to say at the moment and that’s why I didn’t raise my hand! If reserved people do have something smart or important to say then we’ll say it! 

4. You’re Overlooked

When you are reserved many people tend to overlook you when having a conversation. It’s as if they think you’re only good for listening. When you finally have a chance to make a point or say something the conversation has already moved on.

5. You Shock People when you Speak

This last situation can be downright annoying or rude. Occasionally when reserved people speak up in class we get weird looks of shock from our classmates. It’s as if they thought we were mute or something. I also find that when I am having a conversation outside of class fellow classmates with approach me and say “Wow! You actually speak!” How do you even reply to that?

To all of my fellow reserved friends out there, I hope you can relate. Even if we don’t talk very often we are almost always listening and our minds are running. Never let yourself be overlooked just because you’re reserved, you never know who you’ll surprise. Like they say… you gotta look out for the quiet ones!