5 Holiday Sweets to Savor this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Healthy eating is great and all, but even for a health nut like me, splurging on treats during the Holidays is unavoidable. Here are some of my favorite holiday recipes that are a must try this season, and they are absolutely delectable. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

1. Sugar Cookie Hot Cocoa Cupcakes

Sugar cookies, hot cocoa, and cupcakes all in one! What could be better? Cupcakes have been a big deal these last couple of years, as sweet shops dedicated to the miniature cakes have become a staple in many cities. But rather than paying dozens of dollars for a dozen of these delicious goodies, you can make this creative and professional looking recipe in your very own home! With a sugar cookie base, chocolate hot cocoa cake center, and a swirly topping of either vanilla butter cream or marshmallow frosting, these cupcakes are bound to be a blowout at your next holiday party

2. Peppermint Oreo Truffles

Truffles are another desert that you probably think should be left to an expert. These however, are easy to make and taste absolutely magical. With only 5 ingredients, they are simple to make and can be made ahead of time for any holiday event. With chewy, gooey chocolate Oreo inside, and a crisp and snappy peppermint chocolate shell, these will melt in your mouth and leave you wanting more. I won’t say anything if I catch you coming back for seconds…or fifths.

3. S’mores Hot Chocolate

Ahhh, the soothing hot cocoa we know and love when the weather becomes chilly and snowy outside, only this time it has an added punch: warm and toasty marshmallows, graham crackers, and fudge topping. After trying this recipe, this may very well replace your morning cup of coffee over winter break. Also, if you’re a health nut like me and are trying not to splurge this holiday season, the Minimalist Baker has a large selection of healthy, gluten free and vegan recipes available that are just as tasty as this hot chocolate recipe.

4. Homemade Snickers Bars

This recipe takes the snickers we all know and love and kicks it up a notch. Even though Hershey’s is a sweet treat, making these bars on your own allows you to use any chocolate of your choice. So, if you’re a sucker for high-end or high-quality ingredients, this recipe is most definitely for you. Since this recipe can be made all year round, I won’t be surprised if it becomes your new addiction. 

5. Melt-In-Your-Mouth Eggnog Cookies

Who knew eggnog could be used to make cookies, especially cookies as mouth-watering as these? These buttery cookies are soft and delicate in texture, and are loaded with a rich and creamy eggnog frosting that will leave you swooning. These are so incredibly scrumptious, that if you’re not an eggnog fanatic, you might forget the classic holiday drink is even an ingredient. These may just be your family’s new favorite cookie recipe this season. Oh, and I would keep an eye on them during holiday celebrations. They might disappear before dinner has even started.

Growing up in a free-spirited family, Amanda was always interested in the arts, whether it was writing, painting or making movies with her friends. She is a graphic design major who has a passion for fashion, film, and all things fantasy. After graduating from University she plans on pursuing a career in design, and to continue writing for pleasure (or profit!).
Linda Quinones is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. She is also a member of the executive board, specializing in recruitment for the Student Ambassador program. The 21 year old is originally from New York City and has dreams of working for Seventeen Magazine and making her mark in the fashion industry. She was raised by a single mother, whose hard work, sacrifice and independence inspires her everyday to be the best she can be.