5 Drug Store Shampoos You Can Trust

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

A hairstylist once told me that drug store shampoos are not good to use. “Don’t use any shampoo from the drug store,” she said. I believe she told me this so that I would buy some of the expensive “high quality” shampoo from the salon. The shampoo she suggested was around 23 dollars. The very concentrated substance came in an elegant thin bottle, and while I didn’t doubt it was a good shampoo, I wondered with skepticism if it was worth it. I’m sure you can relate. College students shouldn’t be paying a small fortune just for shampoo, right? That’s ridiculous. Yet, the health of our hair is important. We want to look fabulous and pay an affordable price for beautiful, clean, healthy locks. And at the end of the day, isn’t soap, well soap?! Let’s investigate…

I compiled a list of 5 quality drug store shampoos, based on what works for me and a few friends with different hair types.Here you have it, without further ado…1.) TresEmme Deep Cleansing Shampoo (For hair prone to build up)As a salon-quality brand available at the drug store, TresEmme is worth checking out. I recently started using shampoo, and am loving the results after I wash my hair. You can buy a large bottle of this shampoo for the price of 4 dollars at CVS. Great for the bargain hunters out there! This shampoo’s purpose is to revitalize and purify. It will cleanse your hair and reduce any build up from other hair products, for a smooth and fresh finish. Beautiful!

2.) Aveeno Active Naturals Nourish and Moisturize Shampoo (For dry hair)

Aveeno’s Nourish and Moisturize shampoo will bathe even the driest hair to pure perfection. It contains gentle conditioners and moisturizes, for soft and touchable locks. A scientific study showed that with only 3 washes, this shampoo helps repair damage. In addition, a clinical study showed that 92% of women concluded their hair was more moisturized after using Nourish and Moisturize 3 times. For dry hair, this shampoo is the fix, leaving your hair looking and feeling luscious! 

3.) Redken Color Extend Shampoo (For color treated hair)The Color Extend Collection of products from Redken is trustable. Their Color Extend Shampoo gently cleanses and provides protection to color treated hair. Redken’s formula contains an exclusive interbond conditioning system and a 360 degree protective deliver UV filter. With anti-oxidant vitamin E, conditioning silicone, ion blockers, and ceramide to help defend your color treated hair, Redken has you in good hands! Your hair will be shiny and manageable after washing it. Ahh, refreshing!

4.) Head and Shoulders Smooth and Silky Shampoo (For hair prone to dandruff)

Head and Shoulders is America’s #1 dandruff shampoo brand, and for good reason! The majority of their products are created to help reduce and prevent dandruff. Their Smooth and Silky Shampoo helps soften and restore dry and frizzy hair, as well. Frizz control starts at the scalp to smooth each strand. It’s formulated with a new fresh scent technology, featuring enhanced fragrance. Your in-shower experience will be absolutely divine. And yes, no more dandruff!

5.) Organix Moroccan Argon Oil Shampoo (For all hair types)If you pay attention to what’s going on in the fashion and beauty world, chances are you’ve heard of the amazing benefits of argon oil. Mind you, not one, but two of my friends recommended this brand. This Moroccan Argon Oil Shampoo from OGX penetrates into the hair shaft, in order to help repair damage and give your locks strength and shine. Their formula is free of parabens and sulfates. It’s also gentle enough to use on color-treated hair. For protection against UV damage and styling heat, OGX is the way to go!

The choice is yours- Professional salon shampoo over store bought shampoo. Take your pick, but the point is that not all drug store shampoo is bad quality. There are some good brands out there that will give you lovely results. The key when choosing a shampoo is to make sure there are no harmful chemicals in it, like sodium sulfate. Try to stick with as many natural components as possible for clean and touchable hair. Check the ingredients before making a purchase. Happy hair washing!