11 Big & Fancy Words You MUST Add to Your Vocabulary Arsenal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

One of the most important aspects of life is communication. Having an excellent vocabulary will not only make you sound more intelligent, but it will also help you succeed in your relationships, career, and academic pursuits.

You will find that the more you express yourself in a polished and articulate way, the more people will respect you and want to hear more of what you have to say.

There is a big difference between saying, “I’m so hungry. I’m going to the cafe,” and saying, “I’m absolutely famished. I shall now depart for the dining hall.” The distinction is in the presentation. (Just try not to sound like snob, after soaking in this mere example!)

Check out these stupendous and spectacular words to add to your personal lexicon. Read on:

1) Aphesis: omission of sound or verbiage at the beginning of a word or phrase

Hopefully you shall not do that after reading this…

2) Aposiopesis: abrupt stop of a thought in a sentence, as if the speaker could not continue

I was thinking of what to say in this article, and then I….

3) Osculatator: One who kisses

Try this one out on your next date, if you’re not afraid of killing the mood by sounding too nerdy. *insert silly face here*

4) Unencumbered: free, not burdened with cares or responsibilities

We often feel this way at the end of the semester, do we not?

5) Proficuous: profitable; advantageous; useful

Hopefully this is an accurate representation of your next business venture. Werk!

6) Saxicolous: one who lives under a rock

Welcome to my life… Just kidding.

7) Winebibbler: one who drinks too much wine

Turn up?! Or simmer down?!

8) Rococo: fancy                                                

“I’m so rococo, you already knowww… I’m in the fast lane…from LA to Tokyo”

9) Vitriolic: mean

Try this one in your next argument, and see how far you get: “You’re so vitriolic, you intolerable fiend…” 

10) Bloviate: to brag

We shall all bloviate at our respective commencement ceremonies. Here, here… Pass the champagne!

11) Apostasy: abandonment of one’s religious faith, political party, one’s principles, or a cause

How ever-so dramatic.