You’ve Broken Up, Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Kim Kardashian-Chris Humphries. Jennifer Lopez-Ben Affleck. Nicole Kidman-Tom Cruise.What all of these ex couples have in common is that they have all been through break-ups. In your case, you probably thought that this day would never come, as you were both perfectly made for each other. Or you maybe you foresaw that the break-up with your boyfriend was slowly approaching. Regardless of which of the two options better reflects your situation, the bottom line is the same: you two are broken up. Even though the transitioning period after that is usually difficult and somewhat painful, it is not something you cannot get over it. Here are some suggestions for you after your break-up:

“Need you now”
Well, of course you do. One of the difficult tasks about separations is to find something to do with all the free time you have available now. It is actually more difficult that what it sounds but the best thing to do after your break-up is to refrain from having any contact with him. Not knowing his whereabouts, or affectionately texting each other in the middle of the night will be ultimately proven to be very helpful to you and will give you time to reevaluate things and see them from a more clear perspective.

“(You drive me) Crazy”
Especially during the first days after the break-up your brain will convince you to go crazy and your attitude is clouded by vulnerable emotions. Try to remind yourself that break-ups are not the end but rather the beginning of something new and better, which you have the opportunity to do absolutely right from the beginning. Give yourself sometime and everything will be better

“It’s my life, It is now or never”
Clearly, it is your life and you set the rules. Do not sweat over your break-up, because as Greg Behrendt said on his book “It is called a break-up because it is broken.”

“Since you been gone I can breathe for the first time.”
Now that the weather is slowly getting better, go out and soak up the sun.This is the time to do all the things you wanted to do while you where with him but you never got the chance to. How about starting crossing out things from your bucket list?

“Call me maybe”
Do not loose any more time. Get in touch with your old friends that once used to make you feel good and sexy and ask them to hang out. Maybe they know cool people who will appreciate your presence and want to hang out with you, too!

Everyone has been through breakups and the common thing is that no one ever likes them. But if you see things for a more clear perspective, break-ups have good things to offer you too. They make you stronger and you know what things to do or not next time someone else comes in your life. You do not have to rush into another relationship right after you break up because you might not be there emotionally. Give yourself some time to heal the wounds that your ex left. So, what are you waiting for. Go out and live it up with people who are smart enough not to let you leave.

Top photo credit: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/report-kim-kardashian-to-file-for-divorce-from-kris-humphries-20113110

Bottom photo credit: http://www.relationship-rewind-review.com/get-over-a-breakup/