Why Wigs are About to Become Your New Favorite Accessory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Trends come and go but, this revamped style hack is here to stay! Wigs have become the new secret weapon to recreating looks, styles, and even personalities. When I first thought of wigs, I always pictured my great aunt coming from a long day at work taking of her jacket, shoes, and oddly enough, her hair! It always creeped me out until recently when fashionistas and celebrities alike learned to blend and manipulate the hair and make it seem as if it were their very own!

If you follow celebs like Beyonce, Rihanna, or Lady Gaga you would be wondering how their hair color and length changed so frequently. I would always think to myself, “How is their hair not dying from all those chemicals and heat damage?!” Little did I know, an illusion was happening right before my eyes. With a couple of baby hairs, concealer, and a little leave out the possibilities become endless.

Some may call it deception or witchcraft, but I call it genius!!  Even Kylie Jenner has caught on to the hype, booking magazine covers back after back for her daring color choices. Just recently she rocked a rainbow ombred do’ by none other than celebrity stylist and hair guru, Toky Stylez, at this years Coachella turning heads in every direction.  

Kylie At Coachella 16’

Kylie rocking Wigs of the Rainbow

Hair Guru: Toky Stylez

To check out more of his amazing wigs and transformations, check out Toky Stylez on IG @tokyostylez

I decided to invest in a couple wigs myself and recreate a look of my own. What was the verdict you ask? A success!

Me and my many wigs

I found that having the luxury of being able to switch up my look whenever I want goes a long way. Not only does it give it cut the time in half when I’m on the go, but it is also such a healthy alternative to keeping your hair protected and long without manipulating it. The only downside is that it is in fact an investment. To get more natural looking wigs with good quality hair, you need to be aware that you may have to burn a small hole in your pockets. My most expensive wig was around $250, but I thought it was totally worth it since it’s so lightweight, I sometimes forget I have it on!  Sally Beauty Supply has realatively cheap synthetic ones that I own. However, I recommend real hair over fake because you can use heat on it and take care of it as if it were your own. A

I don’t expect you to spend $3000 like Kylie, but if you are a beginner like myself, go to the nearest hair store and try on a couple wigs for free! If you are nervous, don’t be because at the end of the day if you don’t like it, you can always change it!

Take chances. Think outside of the box. Be fierce!

Kayline is currently a senior at the University of Maryland-College Park. She is a Family Science Major focusing on Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy. On her down time, she expresses her passion either on the volleyball court or dancing all over campus. She hopes to become a Sports Physical Therapist and contribute as a writer for a health magazine. She is obsessed with "Friends" (the show), shopping, and trying new things! She believes everyone grows at their own pace and as a new HerCampus writer, she hopes to help her readers grow into awesome women by sharing her thoughts and views of the world and all its beauty! :) Find her on Instagram @kay.limepie