Life > Experiences

Why Losing Touch is Easy and Reconnecting is Hard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

We get so wrapped up in our own world sometimes we forget our family and friends. We lose touch with them and months go by before we realize we miss them.

Photo by Joshua Ness on Unsplash

With instant connectivity through our screens and social media everpresent in our daily lives, it feels like we are always ‘in touch’ with the people we care about. It’s easy to pull up our snap map to check where our friends are on campus. It’s simple to send a text or face time. So why is losing touch still so easy? 

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Because of how easily accessible people are, we take them for granted. Their time and efforts often go unnoticed in the sea of stories, tweets, and most of all the deep thoughts that drown them out. From my experience in college, I see people get so wrapped up in academics, social life and sleep that just stopping to ask someone “how are you” go over their head. I know that ignorance doesn’t stem from not caring, but from being afraid to make an effort to reconnect.

Photo by Srikanta H. U on Unsplash

I’ve learned that no matter how much time passes, my relationships with the people I care about most haven’t changed. Just making the first step and reconnecting after a long period of time is scary. Often times I wonder what I should say because I’m afraid it’ll be weird. But honestly, I don’t think there is any right way to reconnect with someone you lost touch with except just to do it.

Photo by Victoria Rodriguez on Unsplash

Here are some things I think about when I try to reconnect with a friend I lost touch with:

1. Reach out and be straight forward

There’s nothing wrong with sending a text and telling them how much you’ve missed them or that you haven’t forgotten them. You will know if they are a true friend with they respond and want to make an effort too.

2. Make them laugh

Photo by Vladislav Klapin on  Unsplash

Send them a little gif or a funny picture just to steam off the tension if there is any. Keep in mind that you don’t want your friend to feel any pressure or guilt for not having been in touch either. 

3. Set a date and make a plan

Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

Last but not least, mark your calendars! It’s never too late to grab a coffee or a quick bite to eat. 

Seeing a friend and reconnecting will always be a good time, so we can keep that mentality and try to make an effort to be present in their lives. 

Audrey graduated from the University of Maryland College Park with a major in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Information Sciences. She was born and raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. She loves to travel around the world and always has her camera ready to capture everything so follow her on Instagram @audreynwid. Her life motto is 'Don't be afraid to defy the auds, pun intended.' Her furry partner in crime is a Shiba Inu named Hibiki who is quite the model and loves to go hiking. Check him out on Instagram @hibibblekiki