Style

When Does UGG Boot Season Start in Maryland Anyway?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It is officially October which inevitably means one thing — ugg season is upon us! That’s right. Those of us who are basic enough will soon proudly begin rushing into the Starbucks on Route 1 in our sheepskin boots to order exactly what you are thinking by the masses.

https://gfycat.com/oddballradiantgraysquirrel

October is associated with the start of the mild weather we begin to see in the fall. Unfortunately, in Maryland, it is anything but that for the majority of the 31 days of the month. Maryland can be tricky. You wake up for your first class and it is 48 degrees outside. By the time you walk out of that class an hour-or-so later, your feet are sweating and people are wearing T-shirts and shorts because it is now 72 and sunny. We have all been there. Shameful, yes, but together we can put an end to premature ugg season.

Here are some things to keep in mind when you are considering breaking out your fur boots:

1. Maryland has notorious weather patterns in transitional months. The Maryland Weather Service calls transitional periods the spring and fall months that connect the extreme conditions of the winter and summer. The average temperature for the month of October for Maryland is 68 degrees. Sounds pretty high, right? Definitely does not make you want to wrap your feet in fur either, does it?

Weather Spark collects hourly data for major cities across the U.S. such as Baltimore. Let’s redirect our focus to this more telling data, ladies and germs:

• 8 a.m.-11 a.m.

Oct. 1 to 15 is the warmer half of the month. Morning temperatures are cool between 55 to 65 degrees. After the Oct. 15 the cold weather begins to assert itself with temperatures ranging from 45 to 55 degrees.

• 12 p.m.- 3 p.m.

Mid-day temperatures are “comfortable” Typically, one can expect this to be between 65 and 75 degrees for the first half of October From the 15 to 31, temperatures can occasionally reach the ideal ones that the preceding dates did, but expect this point in the day to feel cool like 55 to 65 degrees.

• 4 p.m.-8 p.m.

Temperatures tend to not climb so dramatically during this point in the day. They will generally remain in the same temperature range as the mid-day temperatures until sundown.

2. The masterminds behind our favorite brand of fur boots suggest making a pairing with ripped jeans or track pants and a warm cardigan or sweater. Uggs are an effortless fall staple that is an essential piece in maintaining warmth while remaining in high fashion, so wear them however you want! We are here for it!

“There’s absolutely no wrong way to wear your UGGs in Autumn, as long as you keep your look dressed down for the right occasion,” according to the company’s website.

Flickr CC

3. Whenever Tom Brady starts wearing his uggs, you can too.

Tom Brady, the New England Patriots phenom of a quarterback, who has five Super Bowl rings to prove it is not only a proud owner of his very own pair of uggs. He was named an official sponsor by the Australian brand in 2010. Every year, Twitter erupts with memes and funny tweets poking fun at the pinnacle of manhood for wearing slippers in public.

Pinterest​

In his defense, the Pats quarterback is not parading around New England in the Classic Chestnut sheepskin boots that UGG is known for as seen in the meme above. In true Brady fashion, he confidently wears the UGG Men collection which boasts shoes, boots (furry and not), and slippers.   

Poor guy, can we really even blame him? I’m with ya, Tom. Whenever Brady deems it socially acceptable to break out his uggs, we will follow.

Junior Multiplatform Journalism and Criminology and Criminal Justice Major at the University of Maryland. Member of Active Minds UMD. Former staff writer for the Campus Trainer and script writer/announcer for WMUC's Drop the Pop. Aspiring sports journalist. Herbivore. The Washington Capitals are still the Stanley Cup Champions.
Ambriah Underwood is an avid reader and writer. In 2016, she graduated from Baltimore City College high school becoming an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme recipient. She attends the University of Maryland as a senior, pursuing a degree in journalism with a minor in Spanish. During the spring of 2018, she copyedited news, opinion and diversion sections for an on-campus, student-run publication known as The Diamondback. After spending a year writing for Her Campus Maryland, and, later, functioning as an editor as well, she became co-Campus Correspondent. She plans to further her involvement with the group as well as gain more editorial experience through internships and by continuing her passion for storytelling. Ambriah Underwood resides in Washington County, Maryland.