What’s Your Sorority’s Philanthropy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The school year is starting up again and you know what that means? No, not spring break-spring recruitment! As Spring Recruitment approaches, here’s a quick overview of the 15 sororities philanthropies and their events!

Whether you’re going Greek or not, go out and support a event-or two!

Delta Gamma

What is your philanthropy? Service for Sight

What does it support? Sophomore Biology and Environmental Science double major and sister of Delta Gamma Claire Quinn says that the event helps visually impaired individuals. Also, Quinn mentions that the philanthropy was inspired by a Delta Gamma sister, Ruth Billow, who was blinded after a childhood accident.
How have you and your sisters supported this? Delta Gamma has an annual event called Anchor Splash where campus groups compete in swimming events including races, diving and synchronized swimming. Also, Delta Gamma has grilled cheese sales throughout the year and attend local events such as Vision Walk and the Light the Way 5K.

Alpha Phi

What is your philanthropy? The Alpha Phi Foundation

What does it support? Junior journalism major and Alpha Phi member Sarah Polus says that The Alpha Phi Foundation, “focuses on many different things such as developing leadership, helping sisters in need and women’s cardiac care.”

How have you and your sisters supported this? In order to support their philanthropy, Polus mentions that, “Each year we throw Red Dress, a philanthropy event that raises money for women’s heart health. This year we held raffles, and silent and normal auctions. Different entertainment groups around campus, such as singing groups, come and provide entertainment. Alumnae, parents and community members always donate to our raffles and auctions, and it’s fun to see what interesting things get donated (signed pictures of famous people or autographed footballs, etc.)”

Kappa Delta

What is your philanthropy? Prevent Child Abuse America and Girl Scouts
of the USA

What does it support? Sophomore Undecided Major and VP of Community Service for Kappa Delta Alexa Iannelli says, “The money that we raise for Prevent Child Abuse America goes to our local branch, called The Family Tree. The Family Tree is dedicated to improving the community in the Maryland area bygiving families solutions to prevent child neglect and abuse. We don’t really raise money for Girl Scouts, we host events for them each semester.”

How have you and your sisters supported this? Kappa Delta “has one major
event in the fall and in the spring to raise money for Prevent Child
Abuse,” Ianneli explains.  “This past fall, we hosted a Dunk & Dodge tournament, where fraternities, sororities, and other organizations on campus competed
in a dodgeball tournament with sponges dunked in paint. Also, Kappa Delta plans to host a silent to raise money for Prevent Child Abuse America this upcoming semester, Ianneli adds. Furthermore, Kappa Delta holds many events to support their philanthropies. “Each semester, we also have a week of philanthropic events. Shamgrams and Pinwheels for Prevention are small events that we have on campus to raise money and awareness,” Ianneli explains. For the Girl Scouts of the USA, Kappa Delta “host events that are intended to promote confidence in young girls and provide them with positive role models,” Ianneli adds. “This fall, we had our annual International Girls Day, where almost 150 Girl Scouts from all over the area came and participated in fun
activities and learned about inner beauty. We also hosted a Holiday
Party, where Kappa Delta’s helped Girl Scouts create holiday crafts at
our chapter house,” Ianneli concludes.

Alpha Epsilon Phi

What is your philanthropy?: Sharsheret and Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation

What does it support?: Sophomore Communication major and VP Philanthropy for Alpha Epsilon Phi Amanda Hanowitz says, “Sharsheret is a national nonprofit organization that supports young Jewish women and their families facing breast cancer through community support, connections and resources. Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing pediatric HIV infection and eliminating pediatric AIDS through research, advocacy, and prevention, care, and treatment programs.” (info from sharsheret.org and pedaids.org)

How have you and your sisters supported this? As for their events, Alpha Epsilon Phi brings their A game to each event each semester. “We have many events that benefit both organizations.  For instance, in the fall we have our annual Wingman competition, a wing-eating competition between chapters to raise money for Elizabeth Glaser,” Hanowitz mentions. Hanowitz also adds, “We also have an event in the fall that supports Sharsheret. Last year, we had AErobics, a zumba class that raised money for Sharsheret. Aside from their Wingman competition and Aerobics, Alpha Epsilon Phi conducts smaller event in the year, such as candy sales and trunk shows.

Sigma Delta Tau

What is your philanthropy?: Prevent Child Abuse America (PCAA)

What does it support?: Sophomore Journalism major and VP of Philanthropy for Sigma Delta Tau Alli Weiss says that, “PCAA supports the prevention of child abuse and neglect by creating awareness about the different ways to strengthen families and different modes of prevention.”

How have you and your sisters supported this? Sigma Delta Tau holds two major events: Pinwheels for Prevention with the UMD chapter of Kappa Delta and EAT Your Way Through College Park, Weiss says. “Pinwheels takes place on the UMD mall and we sell pinwheels to form a pinwheel garden on the mall, where each pinwheel represents a person standing up to child abuse. EAT Your Way is our biggest event. We bring in donated food from the College Park and DC areas and charge ten dollars per person to come and enjoy an all you can eat buffet and all the proceeds to go PCAA.” Even though Sigma Delta Tau held two events in the fall semester,  this is only the beginning. Weiss says, “We are really passionate about our philanthropy and hope to do even more to create awareness in the upcoming semester!”

Sigma Kappa

What is your philanthropy?: Sophomore Environmental Science and Policy and VP of Philanthropic Services for Sigma Kappa Sara Reedy adds Sigma Kappa “support several foundations, but they all are a part of the Sigma Kappa foundation. Within this foundation, we support Alzheimer’s Research, Inherit the Earth, and the Maine Sea Coast Mission.”

What does it support?:  Junior Economics major Alayna Peciaro explains each philanthropy further. For the Gerontology and Alzheimer’s Prevention, “This philanthropy focuses on the needs of the elderly and the study of the aging process, especially those individuals who are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.” Next, “The [Maine Sea Coast] Mission provides funds in support of islanders of Maine who do not have the necessary means to provide for themselves,” Peciaro adds. Lastly, Inherit the Earth “is committed to improving the environment and pushing for cleaner communities,” Peciaro mentions.

How have you and your sisters supported this? Though Sigma Kappa supports three philanthropies, the sisters of Sigma Kappa engage in many events in order to support each one equally. Reedy mentions that Sigma Kappa “host events such as our Fall fest in 2012 and Casino Night in 2011” in order to raise money for their foundation. Sigma Kappa also “visits a local nursing home that provides care for residents with Alzheimer’s.” Reedy mentions that the sisters play bingo, sing songs and arts and crafts with the residents at the nursing home not only to support Gerontology and Alzheimer Prevention, but to make the residents days “a little more exciting,” Peciaro mentions.  Furthermore, the Sigma Kappa chapter of the University of Maryland attends the Walk to End Alzheimer’s in Washington D.C. with the Sigma Kappa Baltimore Alumane chapter and the Sigma Kappa chapter of George Washington University, Peciaro adds. In regards to The Maine Seacoast Mission, Peciaro mentions that Sigma Kappa chapters nationally assist financially with emergency relief programs and scholarship programs for the islanders of Maine. Also, Peciaro adds that necessities such, as food, shelter and medical services are given to families in need. Both Peciaro and Reedy mention that Sigma Kappa has an “Adopt-a-Road” off Greenbelt Road in College Park. Peciaro also adds that Sigma Kappa chapter of University of Maryland engages in the Adopt-a-Road Program in College Park and pick up trash each semester.

Kappa Alpha Theta

What is your philanthropy?: CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates)

What does it support?: Junior Behavioral and Community Health major Katey Linskey says that CASA “provides adult advocates for abused and neglected children journeying through the court system. These advocates are often one of the only sources of stability in the child’s life and work hard to ensure the child’s best interests are protected.  CASA provides an opportunity for all children to thrive.”

How have you and your sisters supported this? Kappa Alpha Theta holds two major, but fun events to support CASA. If you love Mexican food and want a good time, then attend Kappa Alpha Theta’s Queso for CASA held in the fall semester. Linksey says, “Queso for CASA, held in the fall, is an all you can eat Mexican food festival. [It’s] hosted at our chapter house, the night is filled with friends, food, music, and dancing.  [Plus,] all proceeds go to CASA.”  If you’re looking to relax with friends and dig into some good BBQ food, then The Cornhole Tournament & BBQ is the right place for you!  “The Cornhole Tournament & BBQ is held in the spring with the brothers of Fiji,” Linksey says.  “This day is full of fun activities, food, and friends.  Half of the proceeds go to CASA and half go to Fiji’s philanthropy USO.” Kappa Alpha Theta has created Mr. CASAnova calendar this year, in which the calendar includes different fraternities posing for a funny philanthropic photo, Linksey mentions. Also, all the process from the Mr. CASAnova goes to CASA.  Finally, Kappa Alpha Theta holds a 5K “Run for Love” in conjunction with AChiO [Alpha Chi Omega] each spring. “The run commemorates Yeardley Love, a UVA Theta and unfortunately, a victim of domestic violence. [The] proceeds go the House of Ruth, and the One Love Foundation, Linksey adds.

Alpha Omicron Pi

What is your philanthropy? Arthritis Research Foundation

What does it support? Arthritis Research Foundation helps to fund research to find the cure for Arthritis and to create awareness for the cause of arthritis. Also, the foundation assists in treatment for people who are negatively affected by arthritis.

How have you and your sister supported this? Alpha Omicron Pi holds their annual AOII (Alpha Omicron Pi) Roses Sale on Valentines Day to raise money for the Arthritis Research Foundation. Also, Alpha Omicron Pi holds their AO (Pie) in the Face event, in which “the sisters get pied in the face for money for the philanthropy,” Junior Nutritional Sciences (Pre-dental) major and Philanthropy Chair of Alpha Omicron Pi Ashley Nonemaker says. Even though their philanthropy events are fun, Nonemaker says that the sisters of Alpha Omicron Pi “are always knowledgeable about our cause and try to create awareness at all our events and fundraisers.” Alpha Omicron Pi does participate in other philanthropy projects such as Terpthon and Relay for Life, but Arthritis Research Foundation is their main focus, says Nonemaker.

Alpha Delta Pi
What is your philanthropy: The Ronald McDonald House
What does it support: Ronald McDonald House program provides a “home-away-from-home” for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost, says Junior Family Science major Rebecca Littlefield.

How have you and your sister supported this: Every year ADPi [Alpha Delta Pi] holds their “Mane Man” contest, which is a competition between all of the men of the UMD Greek Community to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House. Also, Littlefield adds that ADPi collects pop-tabs, which are located at the top of the soda can, to donate toward Ronald McDonald House charities. After collecting the money that was made from the pop-tabs, Alpha Delta Pi sends the money to pay for the electricity in Ronald McDonald Houses internationally, Littlefield mentions. Aside from the events, Littlefield explains that “Our favorite part of supporting RMH is that we get to visit a local Ronald McDonald House at least twice a month to cook, clean and entertain the children and families staying there!”

Alpha Chi Omega
What is your philanthropy? Domestic Violence Awareness
What does it support? VP of Philanthropy of Alpha Chi Omega Katie Shniderman says that Alpha Chi Omega’s “goal is to spread awareness within our community on the issue of domestic violence. With 1 in 4 women nationwide experiencing domestic violence in her lifetime, we are very committed to the cause. We believe that by educating ourselves and our peers, we can help to combat the issue that affects far too many women and men today.”

How have you and your sister supported this? Alpha Chi Omega holds two major fundraisers during the year, Run for Love 5K and Dodge Domestic Violence, which is a dodge ball tournament. The sisters of Alpha Chi Omega continually work to raise awareness within our sisterhood and in the community through participating in Ten Woman Plan and holding two Vigils. The money that Alpha Chi Omega raises primarily goes to House of Ruth, an organization aimed at supporting women, children and families affected by traumatic abuse, says Shniderman.

Delta Delta Delta

What is your philanthropy? The St. Jude’s Foundation

What does it support? The St. Jude’s Foundation supports childhood cancer research

How have you and your sisters supported this? Sophomore Communications major and Leadership Studies Minor Jessica Schram says that Delta Delta Delta’s main events are Bids for Kids, The St. Jude Give Thanks Walk and Flapjack Attack. Bids for Kids is conducted during the fall semester in order to raise money for The St. Jude’s Foundation. At Bids for Kids, the UMD community, friends and family of Delta Delta Delta members bid on cool items such as iPods and clothes and even better, ALL of the proceeds goes to St. Jude Children’s Research! If you thought that it was over after Bids for Kids, think again! After Bids for Kids ends, Delta Delta Delta members form a team and participate with other teams in Maryland in The St. Jude Give Thanks Walk the next morning. Since The St. Jude Give Thanks Walk occurs before Thanksgiving, Delta Delta Delta members are able to come together as sisters from their philanthropic work towards The St. Jude’s Foundation. Lastly, Flapjack Attack is Delta Delta Delta’s biggest philanthropic event! Delta Delta Delta members serve up all-you-can-eat pancakes to hungry UMD students and Greek life members at night-and it’s only $5! According to Delta Delta Delta’s official website, they raised $3,400 at last spring’s Flapjack Attack!

Alpha Xi Delta

What is your philanthropy? Autism Speaks

What does it support? Alpha Xi Delta helps conduct autism awareness projects across the nation

How have you and your sister supported this? Alpha Xi Delta participates in is the “Walk Now for Autism Speaks”, a 5K that helps raise awareness for the cause, says Junior Environmental Science major Hannah Chang. Chang mentions that the Alpha Xi Delta chapter of University of Maryland engaged in Walk Now for Autism Speaks during the fall semester in Baltimore, MD. Also, many chapters of Alpha Xi Delta participate in the “AmaXIng Challenge”, a fundraising event that includes a series of events that center around autism support.

Delta Phi Epilson

What is your philanthropy? Their first philanthropy is The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which is their fall philanthropy. Their second philanthropy is The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD), which are their spring philanthropies. Their third philanthropy is geared specifically towards Delta Phi Epilson, which is Delta Phi Epsilon Education Foundation. 

What does it support? The Cystic Fibrosis foundation benefits all those suffering from Cystic Fibrosis. The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders spreads awareness and the foundation gives money to centers specific to treating eating disorders and gives donations to people that cannot afford to get treatment. The Delta Phi Epsilon Education Foundation is a foundation that gives money to girls in Delta Phi Epsilon to further their education if they are unable to do so with their financial status and these girls show exemplary behavior in themselves and to the sorority. 

How have you and your sister supported this? Though Delta Phi Epilson have seminars to educate women on eating disorders and a bake sale outside of stamp with all the proceeds benefiting ANAD [The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders], says Sophomore Government and Politics major and Chinese minor Tessa Freedberg, “Deepher Dude” is their biggest philanthropy fundraiser. “Deeper Dude”, held during the fall semester, is “a male dance competition where fraternities and sports team compete against one another in dances choreographed by groups of DPhiE [Delta Phi Eplison] members,” says Freedberg. Furthermore, Freedberg says that Delta Phi Epilson has a theme each year that the songs must revolve back to theme, such as their 90s theme last year. Just like any dance competition, there is a panel of judges, which include PHA members and members from other sororities who vote on the best dance. Also, all the proceeds from “Deepher Dude” benefit Cystic Fibrosis. As for their philanthropy events under The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, Delta Phi Epilson plans to have a fashion show this spring that showcase guys and girls from different fraternities and sororities wearing donated clothes by vendors, says Freedberg. The goal of this event, Freedberg said, “is to embrace every body type and love each and every body.” Furthermore, Freedberg says that Delta Phi Epilson plans to have a trunk show extravaganza at the DPhiE [Delta Phi Epilson] house the day after the fashion show “where anyone can purchase items from tons of vendors and a percentage of the proceeds will go towards our philanthropy,”, says Freedberg. “We want to spread awareness by giving every chapter a chance to participate!”

Zeta Tau Alpha

What is your philanthropy? The Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation

What does it support? The Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation supports Breast Cancer Education and Awareness.

How have you and your sister supported this? The sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha at UMD conduct many events during the year to raise money and awareness for Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. Last spring, Junior Government and Politics major Taylor Harrison says, her and sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha at UMD were a part of Kevin’s “Do Good” Challenge in order to raise awareness for Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. Also, Zeta Tau Alpha released balloons on McKedlin Mall, said Harrison. “We had an oncologist come and speak to the attendees on the improved survival rates of breast cancer and the improvements that continue to be made due to research. At the balloon release, we served cookies and handed out pink breast cancer ribbons. We then allowed our attendees to write the name of someone they know who has been affected by breast cancer on a pink balloon and released the balloons at the same time.”

During the fall semester, Zeta Tau Alpha held their first “Crown Classic” golf tournament. During the tournament, the attendees played a round of golf and an catered luncheon afterwards. If you’re not exactly the next golf star, then other attendees also had the option of not golfing and just attending the luncheon. Furthermore, the tournament had many silent auction items for bid. Harrison said that Zeta Tau Alpha rose over $4,000 for breast cancer education and awareness from the tournament.  Lastly, Zeta Tau Alpha actively create many events in October, which is breast cancer awareness month. Since Breast Cancer Awareness and Education is Zeta Tau Alpha’s philanthropy, the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha do a lot of Breast Cancer Awareness and Education awareness in October. During the month of October, the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha turned the whole UMD campus “pink”-tying pink ribbons around the trees on McKeldin Mall, chalking pink ribbons all around the mall, planting pink flowers in front of the Visitor’s Center and in front of Cole Field House, placing pink flowers in front of all of the fraternity houses on Fraternity Row, and dying the fountain on the Mall pink, Harrison said. In addition, the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha handed out pink lemonade and pink ribbons in front of Stamp and McKeldin Library during the week. Furthermore, the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha moved their “pink” revolution to the athletics at UMD. “We also handed out pink breast cancer ribbons at the soccer games, volleyball games, and club field hockey games. Additionally, we handed out pink ribbons at a Redskins game with sisters from George Mason University,” says Junior Government and Politics major Taylor Harrison.

Phi Sigma Sigma

What is your philanthropy? The National Kidney Foundation and the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation, in which the Nicole Schiffman foundation is a part of, Sophomore Undecided major Carley Sinert says.

What does it support? The National Kidney Foundation supports kidney disease research, The Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation funds leadership programming, offer scholarships and educational grants, and provide resources for philanthropic and service oriented events that directly benefit our collegians and alumnae sisters and The Nicole Schiffman Foundation is a non-profit organization has been created with a mission to reach out to troubled youth in today’s society and communicate a message of non-violence.

How have you and your sister supported this?

Phi Sigma Sigma holds annual events to help raise money for their philanthropies. Last semester, they held a car wash to raise money for the National Kidney Foundation, said Sinert. Also, Phi Sigma Sigma host an event called “Nic at Nite” every year to raise money for The Phi Sigma Sigma and Nicole Schiffman Foundation, says Sinert. “Nic at Nite” is “where we host vendors who come to our house and sell their products. People can pay $5 to get a lunch ticket with food made by our amazing chef, Carmen. Venders who attend give us part of the proceeds they make during the event.”

All photo credit on behalf of each sorority.