What Your Favorite College Park Bar Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Sometimes, we all need a break from the sweaty, smelly frat basements. Thankfully, CP has three major bars to give us a change of pace and scenery. Choosing a bar to go to all depends on what kind of night you are anticipating and your personality. Here are some thoughts to consider when choosing a bar for the night.

PHOTO CREDIT

Terrapin Turf: This bar, also known as Turf, is known for its happy hours and Tuesday night specials. If you are a party animal hoping to dance the night away, this bar is the right fit for you. They have a DJ every night and he will never let you down. He plays everything; from our favorite hits of the 2000’s to the most popular party songs. So if you plan on dancing the night away, you don’t have to look any farther than Turf. The music is loud and the vibe is upbeat. But you’re probably going to want to pregame before heading over here, since the bartenders are always busy. Don’t leave before ordering yourself a fishbowl! Warning: you may want to share these…

PHOTO CREDIT

RJ Bentley’s: If you’re down to meet new people and socialize, Bents is where you want to be and be seen. Bents is most popular Thursday nights. So if you’re into packed spaces, this is the night to go. The lights are dim and the music isn’t as loud, which allows you to converse with others. There are also multiple bars placed inside and out, making it much easier to obtain a drink. And if you’re an outdoors lover, you can even enjoy yourself in their parking lot patio. It’s perfect on a nice, cool night, and it helps disperse the crowd, making way for more space to chill. 

PHOTO CREDIT

Cornerstone Grill and Bar: Cornerstone is the most relaxing bar in CP. It’s busiest on Wednesday nights, when the rails are crazy low prices. On any other given night, you will find mostly upperclassmen enjoying a drink with their friends. There are two levels: the lower level is a normal bar and the upper level has more of a club feel to it. Many extracurricular clubs rent out this upper level for socials, parties, and other events. In these cases, you are usually able to get in if you are 18 or older. There isn’t much dancing going on, but it is still a good time! It’s a great place to go with friends to enjoy each other’s company after a long week of school.

PHOTO CREDIT

Town Hall: Town Hall is a trek for most students. It is found in front of the Varsity and the View, and is connected to a liquor store. Mostly townies go here, but on rare occasions, you may see a bar crawl drunkenly leaving on their way to their next destination.

You will have a great night wherever you go in CP. However, these tips will guide you to your perfect bar destination. And don’t forget to stop by Pizza Kingdom or Insomnia Cookies before heading home for the night!