What Can You Learn from Dec. 1, World AIDS Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“Young people tend to have the super human mentality, they take more risks,” sexual health program coordinator Jenna Beckwith said.

In honor of World AIDS Day, Dec. 1, and University of Maryland’s 2011 HIV/AIDS Awareness Week I felt it only necessary to make sure that our readers were aware of some of the facts and resources available at Maryland. Hopefully this will get rid of that superhuman mentality that many of us hold on to so dearly.

I will not mislead you and pretend that I am a sexpert. University of Maryland offers a wide variety of sexual health programs and services that are available to students most of which are free. The Health Center offers free HIV testing on select dates throughout the year; information on LGBT health and resources, peer education programs and STI testing.

“We’ve been successful in having a good turnout in our free HIV testing,” Beckwith said. 

Students can find condoms (female and male), dental dams, lubricants, as well as an advisor to discuss anything from sexual health to questions of sexuality at the Health Center.

“Almost everyday I am meeting with a student who is talking one-on-one or peer educators doing a presentation,” Beckwith said. “We go through thousands of condoms and safer sex materials and education resources are being utilized.”

Some Sexual Health Facts, Tips, and Advice from Beckwith
–       The most common STI amongst college students is the Human Papillomavirus (HPV), an STI that is spread through sexual contact including skin-to-skin contact like dry humping.

–       “For most people HPV can go away on its own and for others it can cause cancer and genital warts,” Beckwith said.

–       The Health Center has over 20 types of free condoms including female condoms and male condoms, which are all free.

–       The Health Center offers safer sex and abstinence kits, which include items like condoms and detailed information on abstinence and having safe sex.

–       The most common reasons why condoms may fail are because they are not put on properly or they are stored improperly.

–       You should not store condoms in your wallet, glove compartment or in your back pocket.

–       Birth control does not prevent HIV or STI transmission.

–       1/3 of HIV infections occur in people ages 15-24.

–       You can still get pregnant having sex standing up.

“I think STIs and HIV are something that all of us college students, University of Maryland student or not, should be concerned about,” Beckwith said.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to seek help when you have questions about your sexual health, your sexuality, contraception, and pregnancy.  Although Google is a useful tool it is really important to speak with a doctor or a sexual health coordinator like Beckwith.

Students can get involved with Sexual Health and Reproductive Education (SHARE) peer program at University of Maryland by applying through the health center website.

“ I really think that the students are the best advocates,” Beckwith said.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to someone about sexual health, your sexuality or resources on campus contact Jenna Beckwith at Jbeckwith@health.umd.edu.