This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Sometimes… laws just do not make any sense.

Did you know that it is illegal to give a dog whiskey in Illinois? Or how about that it’s illegal to give pies to fellow dinners?

Crazy laws are still in place throughout the world. Sometimes you just can’t help but shake your head at some of them and think, “Why on earth was this passed?”

Here are some outrageous ones that I found.

1. It is illegal for an owner of a store to allow another person to pass out free ducklings in front of the store. – Destin, Florida
  2. If the horn accidentally sounds while making love in a car, the couple can face a jail term. -Liberty, New Jersey
  3. A law created in 1925 makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing.
  4. All persons wishing to keep a rhinoceros as a pet must obtain a $100 license first. -California
  5. Cars are the only item allowed in a garage. – California
  6. Bicycles must not be taken onto a tennis court.
  7. Cutting off a friend’s head with an axe is against the law.

While these laws are funny to read, why is the government not spending time passing laws that are actually serve as a countrywide service? For example, gun rights or legalizing marijuana. However, there must be a reason why these laws were passed.

Brian Tonkay, a senior psychology major, states that all laws serve a purpose, no matter how ridiculous they may be. “I think most laws have a goal of keeping social order,” he said. “I just think some laws are not as helpful as others.”

Senior Leo Dassa agreed with Tonkay, saying that these absurd laws are irrelevant in society. “Those laws don’t mean anything because most people still do them. They are not enforced.” He further explained that the only laws that are taken seriously are the ones that matter to the public as a whole. For example, laws about education, drugs, and theft. “Anything that might not affect someone directly but at some point may cause someone to get hurt,” said Dassa. “Like possession of illegal substance.”

It is not only the United States that passes these silly laws. Other countries have had their fair share. Here are some for your entertainment.

1. A pregnant woman may relieve herself anywhere she likes, including (if she requests) in a policeman’s helmet. – United Kingdom
  2. Vicks inhalers are forbidden in Japan
  3. Taking your top off is illegal in Fiji
  4. Photography in and around airports is illegal, and taking pictures of military and official buildings is frowned upon as well. – Kazakhstan
  5. In France, drivers are legally required to carry a portable Breathalyzer in their vehicle.
  6. Kissing, hugging, holding hands should be avoided while traveling in the United Arab Emirates.
  7. According to Canada’s Currency Act, stores can legally refuse excessive amounts of coins.

While some of these laws are understandable for keeping social order, it seems a bit silly to pass laws that are not going to be enforced, or at least less so. However, they do serve as an entertaining topic, I’ll give them that.