Upcoming Greek Philanthropy Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Now that recruitment is long over, sororities and fraternities are focusing on an important side of Greek life: giving back.  In the upcoming weeks many of the Greek organizations will put on different philanthropy events that donate to a variety of organization all over the world.

Giving back is a huge part of Greek life and many sororities and fraternities have signature events that happen annually on Maryland’s campus and other campus’s nationwide.

Many of the events are scheduled for this week and weekend, which is perfectly time for the start of warmer weather. 

The beauty of these upcoming events is the variety that they provide.  Looking to raise awareness to eating disorders?  Head to Delta Phi Epsilon’s Fashion Show to see some fraternity boys rocking the runway tonight (Thursday) from 6-7:30pm at Ritchie Coliseum.

If tonight is too short notice take a look at these other events that raise money and awareness for amazing causes.

Pinwheels for Prevention: hosted by Sigma Delta Tau

Thursday, April 3rd 11-2pm at McKeldin Mall

Buy a pinwheel and donate to preventing child abuse in America!

Mr. Greek: hosted by Alpha Phi and TKE 

Friday, April 4th 3:30-5pm at Fraternity Row

This male pageant show raises money for The Alpha Phi Foundation, which supports women’s cardiac care and The Alzheimer’s Association

Anchor Splash: hosted by Delta Gamma

Saturday, April 5th 3-5pm at the Eppley Recreation Center

In order to support Service for Sight, Delta Gamma’s all over the country organize Anchor Splash, an aquatic competition where teams that participate in relay races, synchronized swimming, and more.

Flapjack Attack: hosted by Delta Delta Delta

Saturday, April 5th 11-3pm at 4604 College Avenue

Come get all-you-can-eat pancakes for only $5 at the Tri Delta house this Saturday.  All proceeds will be donated to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Step It Up for Autism 5K: hosted by Alpha Xi Delta

Sunday, April 6th 9am at the Engineering Field

Need some exercise?  Get a good run in while also donating to Autism Speaks, a prevalent and far-reaching cause in today’s society.

Shamrock Fest: hosted by Kappa Delta

Saturday April 12th 2-5pm at the lawn in front of 1 Fraternity Row

Eat, enjoy music, and take part in the silent auction with the sisters of Kappa Delta.  All proceeds from the event are donated to support for Prevent Child Abuse America.

Run for Love 5K: hosted by Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Alpha Theta

Sunday, April 13th 1:30pm at the Engineering Field

Support Domestic Violence Awareness by signing up for the Run for Love 5K.  Domestic violence is a serious crime that women around the world face everyday

Gladiator’s Competition: hosted by Alpha Tau Omega

Sunday, April 13th 2-4:30pm at the Chapel Field

Compete in an obstacle course competition in order to raise money in support of a brother who sustained serious injuries and brain damage after a car accident in 2010.

Sig Nu de Mayo: hosted by Sigma Nu and Alpha Chi Omega

Thursday, April 24th at the Sigma Nu Chapter House

Donate to Domestic Violence Awareness while also celebrating Cinco de Mayo. There will be a volleyball tournament, all-you-can-eat Mexican food, and more!

With all these options, it is impossible to miss out on giving back in an enjoyable way.  Grab your friends and stop by at the events that seem like a good time and a good cause.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.