The Unimaginable – Life without Facebook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Logging into Facebook has become a daily routine in the life of a college student. Almost everyone we know has a Facebook. Even our moms, dads, aunts and uncles are creating Facebook accounts. But what if we didn’t have Facebook?

Would we feel less connected? Would we feel happier? Most importantly, how else would we look through all our friends’ spring break pictures?

Shape interviewed six people who did not have Facebook accounts. The six interviewees ranged from their early 20s to mid 40s. One person called it a “waste of time,” another said it caused her to procrastinate and others believe they can effectively stay in contact with their friends, without the need for a social media tool.

It is hard to imagine any student at Maryland not having Facebook. When you look around in a large lecture you can see many students browsing through their news feeds. Some students even need a self-control app because they use it so much!

Junior communication major, Alex Long, said she got so fed up with Facebook that she decided to deactivate her account. Yet, it wasn’t long until she reactivated it.

I guess most of us are just hooked.

But Justin Yoo, who graduated in December as a chemical engineer major, says he is much happier without Facebook.

“I find that I have more time to be more productive and pursue healthier venues, like hanging out with friends and family in person, exercising, working, reading and more outdoor activities” Yoo said. “Basically I’m living life and being a part of the world around me, instead of sitting in front of my computer and rotting away.”

A Huffington Post article called “Facebook Depression: Do You Have It?” seems to have the same outlook as Yoo. The article says, “Kids, on the other hand, need to be taught the value of real, palpable friendship, the kind that you can only forge through offline contact with another individual.”

Even though Yoo says his life is much better without Facebook, and he would never revert back to such an “unhealthy habit,” he still admits that there are positive aspects. These include: networking, helping old friends find each other and connecting people from long distances.

Yoo’s biggest problem with Facebook: vanity.

And he may be right.

Last month, CNN wrote an article about a study done by Western Illinois University that showed a link between being active on Facebook and being narcissistic.

Chris Carpenter from Western Illinois University was quoted as saying, “People who have a heightened need to feel good about themselves will often turn to Facebook as a way of doing so.”

“There is some socialization, but for the most part, they’re taking pictures of themselves, posingfor pictures from others, posting status updates and uploading pictures of their latest outings. All they’re saying is ‘Ooh look at me! Look what I did,’” Yoo said. “I don’t believe a mass spreading of this kind of mental attitude is what the world needs right now.”