This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

After March Madness, the students at seem to lose interest in the sports scene at Maryland. This is such a shame considering the spring sports have some of the best records of all the teams on campus. With the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams both in the top 10 and the baseball team having two regional championships under their belts, the spring sports here at UMD should not be missed! All of the spring sports are doing amazing things this semester!

First off, the women’s lacrosse team is ranked first in the country! The girls are looking for their third straight championship and it looks like they are on the right track to achieving that goal. This season, they are so far undefeated! With the help of amazing players such as sophomore Megan Whittle, junior Zoe Stukenberg, and seniors Taylor Cummings and Alice Mercer, these Terps are unstoppable!

Continuing the lacrosse season, the men’s lacrosse team is number five in the country! With a 7-2 record right now they are making big things happen this year! The Terps are looking to get their 13th national title and it looks like it could happen. With 2-year captain senior Matt Dunn leading the team, along with junior Colin Heacock and recent Virginia transfer senior  Greg Danseglio, these guy are sure to offer us a great rest of the season.

Another team with big shoes to fill is the baseball team. Coming off of two regional championships, the Terps are looking forward to another great season. According to sophomore Kevin Biondic, the team is “looking forward to the making it to the playoffs and keeping up the legacy that has been left behind for them.” With the help of their fan club The Backstop, the Terps are hoping to get more buzz and more fans involved in their exciting games.

On another field, the softball team has some exciting Big Ten games coming up against Penn State and Rutgers. Juniors Sarah Calta, Hannah Dewey, and Brenna Nation are set on making this a great season. The girls are excited to see where the rest of the season takes them and for what lies ahead. Make sure to check them out with some big games coming up!

Doing fantastic things this year, the track & field team is breaking records left and right. The Terps are looking to continue with such  performances. With amazing runners such as juniors Micha Powell, sophomore Peyton Wade, and senior Lisa Meneau for the women’s team, as well as throwing seniors Chiona Onyekwere and Christina Bernal and jumping sophomores Izzy Laurel and Breanna Coleman, these women are doing amazing things across the board! The men’s team is also having a great year. With performances by junior sprinter Brandon Thompson, senior Dan Trettel, and sophomore Alex Leto these guys are set to have an awesome season!

Spring is an exciting time for UMD sports.  The weather is starting to get nice and the spring athletes are some of the best Maryland has. They deserve just as much support as any other team. Make sure to take a walk over to Capital One Stadium to check out the lacrosse or peer into Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium as you’re making your way up Stamp Hill. You will not be disappointed!

Hi I'm Mel, a senior studying communication with a focus in public relations and government & politics here at the University of Maryland. I hope you like what I have to say!