Anna Boy wearing crocheted beanie
Anna Boy wearing crocheted beanie
Anna Boyd
Career > Money

UMD Student Starts Handmade Clothing Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

When Anna Boyd realized she needed college money, she took an unconventional route by starting a crochet clothing business.

Boyd is a sophomore at the University of Maryland enrolled in letters and science by day and the owner of a small business by night. Her business is called Slut for Yarn and is mainly run through its Instagram page. She sells crocheted clothing and accessories, ranging from tanks to beanies to lighter holders that she handmakes. 

Her products are a variety of vibrant colors and funky patterns that make her brand unique. She  keeps up to date with the latest fashion trends through her butterfly and halter tops along with custom orders. She also makes custom tailgate apparel, so far for UMD and West Virginia University, according to her Instagram.

Boyd said she is an entirely one-woman operation. She said that one beanie can take up to three hours straight to make and nearly seven hours straight to make a shirt. Luckily, she said her customers are usually understanding of any delays and are very supportive. 

Rebecca Bernstein, a sophomore double major in Russian and Jewish studies, said she bought a beanie from Slut for Yarn that is UMD colors for game days.

“I really support small, local businesses and I really love the individual who made the hat,” said Bernstein. “They’re a really thick, soft yarn quality and I haven’t had any problems with it so far.”

While she only labeled the business Slut for Yarn about a year ago, Boyd said she has been crocheting since she was about 10 years old and credited her grandma and aunt for teaching her. Boyd said her business debut was at a holiday sale at her mom’s work when she was a kid where she sold hats and scarves.

Boyd sees Slut for Yarn as just a side gig now, but said that crocheting has been such a major part of her life that she sees it as one of her true strengths. She is undecided in her major, but she’s considering going into a business or marketing path in hopes that Slut for Yarn expands. 

“If it got bigger, I think that would be awesome. I just don’t know how I would make everything,” said Boyd. “I’d have to hire more crocheters!”

Olivia Wolfson

Maryland '24

Olivia Wolfson is currently a journalism and government and politics double major at the University of Maryland! She is from Ocean Township, New Jersey and loves going to the beach at home. She hopes to go into broadcast journalism and has interned both at WBAL-TV and CNN. She loves feeling constantly supported by such an amazing group of women at Her Campus and loves every experience she's ever had with the publication.