Culture > News

UMD Farmers Market Returns To Spread Holiday Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

While the regular market season ended Nov. 14, UMD Farmers Market flagpoles signaled to those entering Stamp Student Union on this chilly Wednesday afternoon that something special waited inside.

Sounds of familiar holiday tunes, excited chatter and transactions happening left and right came from the Prince George’s Room in Stamp for the third annual holiday market on Dec. 5.

Vendors–familiar and new–tempted potential customers to treat themselves before final exams and shop for any last-minute holiday gifts.

Around 50 people were present at all times in the market, which ran from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Photo by HaeMee Lee

Junior Japanese major Alexandra Schultz browsed the farmers market every week during its regular season outside in the Tawes Plaza Garden. Today, she bought a succulent and artisan chocolates for a gift, along with vegan ice cream and stickers for herself.

Schultz said, “It’d be nice — I know it’s cold outside — to have more vendors [at the holiday market]. But, it’s nice to see them still around and selling their stuff.”

Neil Vosters, owner of Randalia Bee Hives from the Maryland Eastern Shore, is a regular vendor at the farmers market.

Vosters has participated in all three holiday markets. “It’s always been good, and I see many different people here that I wouldn’t see at the normal farmers market,” he said.

Photo by HaeMee Lee

Vosters brought the usual honey, lip balms and soaps, but he also included gift ideas in the mix — honey and chocolate spoons and beeswax-coated food wraps. Other vendors had holiday specials, as well.

Sophomore chemical engineering major Caylie Chu bought bread from RavenHook Bakehouse, as she typically does. She said, “I like the farmers market in general because it’s a nice way to get food that’s not [from] Target,” which is one of the few grocery stores near campus.

The holiday market featured approximately 12 vendors and student groups, such as Alternative Breaks and Beekeeping Club.

Photo by HaeMee Lee

The UMD Farmers Market provided entertainment in the form of refreshments, prizes and a recipe demonstration for peppermint bark.

Testudo, the university mascot, also stopped by to dance around, greet people and take photographs with students and vendors.

Photo by HaeMee Lee

HaeMee Lee

Maryland '19

Senior studying journalism at the University of Maryland.
Ambriah Underwood is an avid reader and writer. In 2016, she graduated from Baltimore City College high school becoming an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme recipient. She attends the University of Maryland as a senior, pursuing a degree in journalism with a minor in Spanish. During the spring of 2018, she copyedited news, opinion and diversion sections for an on-campus, student-run publication known as The Diamondback. After spending a year writing for Her Campus Maryland, and, later, functioning as an editor as well, she became co-Campus Correspondent. She plans to further her involvement with the group as well as gain more editorial experience through internships and by continuing her passion for storytelling. Ambriah Underwood resides in Washington County, Maryland.