Twenty Years of College Park Scholars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The University of Maryland campus is filled with various living and learning programs that have helped students be successful on campus and after graduation. College Park Scholars, a program that caters to students who strive for success in the classroom and in the community, just celebrated its 20th anniversary of incoming students who are starting their Maryland journey.

On August 28, College Park Scholars hosted its first ever Convocation, to celebrate twenty years of service and scholarship inside of the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. Before this year’s convocation, all Scholars opening events took place in Cole Field House or the Comcast Center.

The event included music from the all-male a cappella group Generics, former students who reminisced about their college experience, and a welcome address from the Executive Director of College Park Scholars, Greig Stewart. President Loh also came to talk to the new students. 

Junior Civil Engineering major Stephanie Martinez recently graduated from the Science, Technology and Society program. She enjoyed being included in momentous occasion.

“I’m so happy that I am a part of this family and I can’t wait to continue being involved and sharing all my wonderful experiences,” Martinez said.

Martinez also expressed that she has gained a wealth of experiences and friendships that may not have been possible without Scholars.

“The best part of scholars for me is being able to share the same interests with my peers. I have met a lot of people from different backgrounds and we have come together in this living learning community that allows us to share our passions,” Martinez said.

The Scholars community is comprised of 11 different programs, that pertain to scientific, media and leadership issues—just to name a few. Programs are not major specific though, so students with majors that do not directly correlate to the program are still invited to join.

Scholars belong to their respective program for two years, and then receive a citation upon completion of their sophomore year.

Sophomore Kinesiology major Cassie Hendrie joined many Scholars affiliated programs to get involved with her campus community.

“I have tried to make myself as involved in the Scholars community as much as I can by doing things like being a peer mentor captain, being a scholars ambassador, being a team leader for service day and participating in events like Charity softball,” Hendrie said.

Students who take part in Scholars are afforded the chance to grow as students and leaders because of the strength of the programs. The day after Convocation, students are thrust into the community for Service Day where they dedicate a day to helping those in the areas surrounding College Park.

After Service Day, students develop a bond that last throughout, and after their time in his or her Scholars program.

Hendrie said that the Convocation “reinforced” her idea that being a part of Scholars is representative of being a part of an extended family. The event served as a welcome into the Scholars community in a way that was both effective and memorable.

“It’s awesome to know that I was part of an event as remarkable as the 20th anniversary of scholars. Especially after hearing that they thought Scholars would never last and now we’re 20 years strong and still growing into a more and more amazing living and learning community every year,” Hendrie said.

Photos: Lisa Helfert

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.