This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As the holiday  season approaches us, our first gift is Spotify’s yearly ‘Wrapped,’ where Spotify summarizes each user’s top five artists and songs. This year the wrap was set up like an Instagram Story and had a lot of moving parts with some of your favorite music in the background.  

With a combination of bright colors and moving shapes, Spotify outdid themselves this year.   

The app shows the number of minutes you’ve listened to music this year, some reaching into the high thousands, with mine saying 32,583 minutes. 

If you have an Instagram account you’re aware of everyone’s stories featuring their personal Wrapped.  There were a few categories that most people fit into, one being the people whose top artist was either Harry Styles or Taylor Swift. The second, consistently trended with my male following, were people who listened mainly to rap, RnB or other pop artists. The last was people who had country artists as their top artists or songs.  

Gabrielle Goldman, a senior sociology major at the University of Maryland said her top artists were Morgan Wallen and Taylor Swift. Although she didn’t post her Wrapped on any social media platforms, she did share it with  friends she found had similar Wrapped. 

On the opposite end of things, senior criminology major Devin O’Neill said his top artists were Post Malone and Starset.  

“I see a lot of people liking the same kind of genre, but mine was a little different,” O’Neill said about the user’s top artists.  

Wrapped has been happening since 2016 with each year getting better and more visually appealing for the users.  With features like audio day and top genres, users are able to reflect on their year and understand how it was spent with music.  The user is also shown how many times and when their top song was played.  For example, my top song was As It Was by Harry Styles, played 152 times, and the most in April.  

Being able to share your wrapped on social media allows others to get a summary of your listening personality. It was an active day on Instagram, a day where everything else gets swept under the rug. 

Users are also able to see past years Spotify Wrapped, to take a step back in the past to see how your music taste has changed or stayed the same. On the homepage, you’re able to scroll through the years you’ve had Spotify and pick one you want to reminisce over. This feature is only offered during the month of December.

Dorothy Hood

Maryland '23

I am a Junior majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. I am very passionate about writing, especially about things like the environment, women empowerment and pop culture.