The ultimate holiday shopping gift guide: 10 ideas that won’t break the bank  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As the holiday season approaches, so do feelings of stress and anxiety.  Not knowing what to buy your friends and family can cause panic, especially if you just so happen to be a broke college student like myself. 

Luckily for you, I have compiled a list of 10 amazing presents $50 and under that won’t break the bank to buy your best friends, sisters or loved ones this holiday season. 

1. Starting off with scents, everyone wants to have that signature smell they dawn so effortlessly. Consider buying your bestie a new perfume. My personal favorites are Cloud by Ariana Grande for those who like sweet smells, which retails for $45 at Ulta, or Eilish by Billie Eilish if you want something muskier with notes of vanilla. Eilish retails for exactly $50 at Ulta
  1. To stay warm and cuddly this winter season, buy someone a weighted blanket. It makes the perfect gift and feels just like a warm hug, which is necessary after a long day out in the cold. Buy this one on Amazon for just $39. 
  1. The best gift for cozy season is a new pajama set — preferably something fuzzy. I personally love this matching animal print set from ASOS for only $21. Or check out this oversized warm sweat set on Amazon for $39, perfect for sleeping or just lounging around! 
  1. To stick with the cozy season theme, check out this silk pillowcase that is sure to be comfortable and beneficial for your skin — this one is just $15 on Kitsch! If you want to pair it with something else, what better than a delicious scented candle? Check out these fun candles on Urban Outfitters. 
  1. For the “It Girl” in your life — she will undoubtedly love the infamous Lululemon fanny pack! Perfect for simply running errands or going out on the town. Buy it for $39 from Lululemon here
  1. Any music lover in your life would love a record player — or if they already have one, buy them some new records of their favorite albums. This cute one on Amazon retails for $44. Check out The Sound of Vinyl here to shop affordable records, from The Beatles to Taylor Swift. 
  1. For your fellow college students nothing is more helpful than a good old phone wallet. Buy them a fun and cute one from Thread Wallets here! They will definitely be grateful to have it on their next night out. 
  1. No matter what stage of life your loved one is in, chances are they are staring at a screen for a good chunk of their day. I’m sure they would appreciate a pair of blue light glasses. Check out these ones at EyeBuyDirect to find stylish and practical offerings. 
  1. People universally love fun decor — buy your bestie a poster of their favorite musician, show, quote or something else at Redbubble!
  1. There’s nothing your best girlfriend would cherish more than the iconic Rare Beauty blush. Shop the $23 liquid blush at Sephora! 

I hope these suggestions helped ease some of that pesky gift-buying anxiety! Remember, your loved ones will appreciate anything you get them.

Irit Skulnik

Maryland '26

Irit Skulnik is a journalism major at the University of Maryland with an interest in writing, media, and public relations. In her free time Irit enjoys thrift shopping and is an avid Bachelor fan.