margot robbie in a barbie movie
margot robbie in a barbie movie
Warner Bros
Style > Fashion

The Most Popular Halloween Costumes Through The Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Article by freelancer Andrea Augi

When looking for a cute Halloween costume, you can find the best costumes by looking back in time. 

Looking at previous years’ popular looks is one of the best ways to get inspiration. Some of the cutest Halloween costumes have already been worn, and old costumes allow you to reinterpret and modernize them. Sometimes, all it takes to inspire a new costume idea is an element from an old costume. The looks included in this article are perfect if you are looking for costume ideas to copy or reinvent!

2000: Britney Spears

Starting from the year 2000, Britney Spears’ iconic look from her renowned music video “Baby One More Time” was all the rave. She became one of the biggest pop idols and everyone wanted to dress up as her. This look includes a button down shirt, schoolgirl skirt and pigtails. Everyone was recreating this look and putting their own spin on it in the 2000s and it’s still a classic look today. 

2004: Mean Girls

In 2004, after the release of Mean Girls, everyone wore costumes inspired by this cult classic. Many people have been inspired to dress up like the characters from the movie for Halloween, especially “the Plastics.” Both the characters and their appearances from this film have become memorable. The movie’s characters’ 2004 Halloween party outfits were hugely popular almost a decade ago, and they remain significant today.

2006: Cheerleader

The popularity of cheerleader costumes grew after the release of Bring It On: All or Nothing in 2006. Everyone in the early 2000s was influenced by the costumes in this movie, which is among the most well-known cheer films. This movie is largely responsible for the iconic and well-liked style of cheerleader costumes.  

2008: Sharpay Evans

Sharpay’s costume gained popularity during Halloween because of her reputation for having a chic and glitzy style. Her diva-like nature let her stand out as a character in High School Musical. Sharpay was well-known for her extravagant outfits, which frequently featured hats, pink dresses, and trendy accessories. Her influence was evident in the visually appealing and recognized Halloween costumes! 

2011: Snooki

Following her debut on the reality show Jersey Shore, Nicole “Snooki” became well-known for her unique sense of fashion and personality. Snooki costumes gained popularity in the early 2010s as a result. Snooki had a reputation for having an individual sense of style, with her animal patterns, statement accessories and extravagant hairstyles. Her iconic look made her a popular recreation each Halloween.

2015: Harley Quinn

The character of Harley Quinn gained popularity as a result of the heavy promotion for the movie Suicide Squad. Despite numerous classic looks, Harley Quinn’s appearance in Suicide Squad introduced the character to a new audience and rekindled interest in her. Her look consists of a red and blue jacket, “Daddy’s Lil Monster” T shirt and short shorts. Her bright hair and baseball bat further enhanced her unique appearance. This style became instantly identifiable and famous. 

2019: Euphoria

2019 saw the introduction of the popular show Euphoria, which soon took over Halloween. The show is known for its vivid and eye-catching styles, which feature dramatic makeup, glitter and extravagant wardrobe choices. DIY clothes and makeup can be used to replicate a lot of the Euphoria looks.

Euphoria cassie maddie?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
HBO

2020: Witch

Witch costumes are traditional for Halloween, and in 2020, when COVID-19 was at its height, people preferred to dress in simpler clothing rather than go out and buy new costumes.  Since it’s easy to pull together an all black outfit out of your closet, many people created their own versions of the traditional witch costume. Pop culture’s impact has continued to shape and evolve witch costumes

2021: Cruella de Vil

Cruella de Vil costumes were exceptionally popular in 2021 due to the release of the film Cruella starring Emma Stone. The old character’s appeal was restored by this movie, and the stylish and daring clothing choices were especially captivating. Cruella’s outfits are creative and fashion-forward, frequently featuring statement pieces like fur coats, gloves, and high-heeled boots. 

2023: Barbie

In the world of fashion dolls, Barbie remains a timeless and iconic figure. This costume is expected to be the most popular Halloween costume this year due to the premiere of the new Barbie movie. One look in particular that stood out in the film was the pink barbie cowgirl look. This costume has been spotted on a number of websites ready to buy. There is no doubt that this Halloween, people will be wearing reinvented looks from the Barbie film. 

ryan gosling and margot robbie in barbie movie
Warner Bros