This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Benjamin Epstein’s love of gaming started when he was a student at the University of Maryland. He and his friends wanted things to do outside of going to bars and parties. 

What began as poker nights with friends soon morphed into “Settlers of Catan” and “Diplomacy” nights. 

Years later, Epstein gets to share his love of gaming with College Park every day. After working in restaurants as a server, busser, dishwasher and manager, Epstein said it was natural to combine his gaming hobby and industry experience.  

”Ironically enough, I was trying to get out of the restaurant industry and talking with a friend…they asked the age-old question of what do you love…I said board games…and they said well do that…so I started thinking about it,”(CQ)  said Epstein.

In 2014, Epstein and his fellow Maryland graduate Brian McClimins opened the Board and Brew in College Park on Route One. In addition to specialty coffee and fresh food, the Board and Brew houses an impressive collection of over 850 board games in 24 different genres. Access to gaming is unlimited for $5 per person per day.

The cafe employs two “Game Gurus” whose jobs are to help customers with games. 

“They know crazy amounts of stuff about the games, they know history and trivia so they’ll be able to sit down and help teach you a game if you want to learn,” server and University of Maryland sophomore Annie Shay said. Shay has been working at The Board and Brew since January of 2021.

The Gurus can also help customers pick a game based on what they want to play. For example, if a customer wanted to play a two-player game for twenty minutes focused on storytelling, they would be able to find just the right game.

The Board and Brew’s menu is constantly evolving, and right now, Epstein said they are revamping their breakfast spread. The third owner of the Board and Brew, Michael Chmar, said he is excited about the new breakfast foods. 

“…what makes me the happiest right now is the blueberry goat cheese griddle…it’s the newest breakfast item,” he said. 

Their lunch and dinner menus sport foods including roast mushroom bruschetta, a buttermilk fried chicken sandwich, lemongrass marinated tofu and Korean pulled pork. Dessert options include chocolate and dried cherry bread pudding, spiced apple cake and a gluten-free milk chocolate custard cake.

The real star of the show is the Board and Brew’s drink menu, Epstein said. The cafe brews artisan coffee in any and every way possible, including french press, hand-pressed, espresso and Kyoto-style slow drip.

The Board and Brew also has a selection of hand-crafted cocktails and locally brewed beers. Some cocktail options include the “Viva Java”, an Irish coffee with whisky and the “Mr. Jack,” with tea-infused vodka, honey and lemon. All the beers offered are brewed in Maryland or Washington D.C., except the caramel espresso porter from New Jersey. 

While food, drinks and gaming are three important aspects of his business, Epstein emphasized the importance of community at the Board and Brew. 

“…what I’m most proud of is that I think we’ve created a spot that really makes people happy,” said Epstein. 

The Board and Brew hosts weekly gatherings for its customers. Shay explained that every Monday they host a Monday Meetup, a get-together of anyone who wants to hang out and play board games. They also host a trivia night every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. 

“It can help you find that little community within College Park,” Shay said.

Not only does the Board and Brew create a community for their customers, but it also creates a community for its staff. 

“I think that the development over time of the staff and how the sense of community that they have among each other and how that translates to the guests.” Chmar said. “I think that’s something that I’m really, really proud of.” 

Shay agreed, saying she feels like it’s a good network of people to rely on, and that she even sees her coworkers outside of work hours. 

“It was nice…having this immediate group of friends… to talk with and hang out with…,” Shay said. 

What started with Epstein’s love of gaming has turned into much more. The Board and Brew has recently opened a second location in Philadelphia, and plans to continue expanding the business.

Sydney is from Northbrook, Illinois and is studying at the Phillip Merrill College of Journalism. She is looking forward to gaining more writing experience.