TerraPind: UMD’s Competitive Bhangra Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Many college students, specifically incoming freshmen, intend on using college as a way to bridge their childhoods to their adulthoods. For a majority, culture plays a huge role in students’ decisions to join clubs and organizations on campus.

One of the many dance teams at the University of Maryland that fuels this positive energy in students is TerraPind, the competitive bhangra team. Bhangra is a dance form that comprises Indian folk music originating from the northwestern region of Punjab. Bhangra dance has evolved and developed over time. With its high-energy, award-winning team, TerraPind continues to shine light on traditional dance.

Over the course of this semester, TerraPind has kept up with its determined and ambitious spirit.

“We started with a fairly new team this year but we’ve already improved so much and we’re so excited to see how far we’re going to go,” said TerraPind captain Gujri Kaur. “We have two competitions coming up this month and after that, we hope to keep working hard and apply to even bigger competitions next semester!”

While some students intend to continue working on an art or passion they have practiced for years, others seek to pursue an entirely new skill set.

Freshman TerraPind performer Nidhi Allani has practiced Indian classical dance since the age of five. Growing up, dance fueled her passion for the arts while allowing her to maintain a rooted connection to her culture.

“Being the first person in my family to be born and raised in America, learning Indian classical dance has helped me relate to the culture that my parents grew up with,” Nidhi said. “It makes me so happy that I can continue to further understand the culture while simultaneously expanding my appreciation for dance.”

By contrast, Jonathon Cyriac, also a freshman on TerraPind, is experiencing Indian dance culture for the first time at the University of Maryland.

“Bhangra is my favorite part of college because it lets me explore my creative side while fueling my competitive nature,” Cyriac said. “It’s given me more confidence and a better appreciation for the arts, something computer engineering can’t deliver.”

TerraPind is currently working towards competing in the two aforementioned competitions known as the Richmond Mela and Lalkar. To support and learn more about TerraPind, check out their Facebook page here!