This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Why Grown Men are so Afraid of Greta Thunberg

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past year, you’ve likely heard of Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old climate activist from Stockholm, Sweden. Her strong will and dedication to achieving climate justice have resulted in her becoming one of the most widely-recognized youths of our time. She delivers eloquent speeches in English (her second language) at such prestigious events as the World Economic Forum, TEDxStockholm, and the UN Climate Action Summit 2019. Thunberg’s one-woman protest outside of the Swedish Parliament is mobilizing millions of students to take part in the Global School Strike for Climate of September 2019. She commands a global audience, all the while navigating the everyday challenges she faces as a neurodivergent high schooler. To most, Thunberg’s impact is nothing short of remarkable. She has even been named one of TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2019, solidifying her place among the likes of Ariana Grande, Sandra Oh, and Nancy Pelosi.

Thunberg’s first demonstration – Photo by Greta Thunberg [ig: @gretathunberg]

Recently, however, her rise to prominence has been questioned by a largely conservative male contingent in the media. This Monday, President Trump mocked the teen in response to a clip of her UN speech, quipping that “she seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!” The fact that the leader of the free world spends his time picking fights with teenagers on Twitter is grounds for a separate article, but we can at least appreciate Thunberg’s quiet yet the savage response to his sarcasm. 

Photo by Greta Thunberg [Twitter: @gretathunberg]

Go off, little sis!

With respect to much of the other backlash Thunberg has accrued, her run-in with President Trump was relatively tame. Back in April 2019, editor of the far-right blog Sp!ked Brendan O’Neill authored an article entitled “The Cult of Greta Thunberg” in which he commented on Thunberg’s “monotone voice” and “look of apocalyptic dread” that in his opinion made her “look and sound like a cult member.” While this is one way to characterize Thunberg’s demeanor, another (more compassionate) way would be to say that she is on the autism spectrum- which can make it difficult for her to maintain eye contact and express emotion in a typical fashion. 

Unfortunately, O’Neill is not the only public persona to have bashed Thunberg for her disability. Pundit Michael Knowles came under fire this week for his statements about Thunberg during a segment of Fox News’ “The Story.” Knowles argued that “if [the climate movement] were about science, it would be led by scientists rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child.” In addition to being blatantly inaccurate (over 240 climate scientists signed an open letter published in Scientific American expressing their support for Thundeberg’s cause), Knowles’ remarks speak to his ignorance towards individuals with disabilities.

When Knowles asks why we should listen to someone who thinks differently than we do, the only appropriate answer is to turn his doubt on its head. Why shouldn’t we listen to someone who thinks differently than we do? Why do we not place more value in their contributions to a debate when they possess unique insights from the neurotypical majority? Why should the mere fact that an individual has a mental illness or condition exclude them from a lofty conversation, especially when they are as knowledgeable and well-spoken as Thunberg? 

Thunberg on Trevor Noah’s The Daily Show – Photo by Greta Thunberg [ig: @gretathunberg]

Moreover, why do these men have so much disdain for a young woman with such significant leadership potential? Some might argue that their ad-hominem attacks on Thunberg are an attempt to drown out her rallying cries that stand to hurt big business and conservative politicians. Others may suggest that they covet Thunberg’s influence (you won’t find Brendan O’Neill or Michael Knowles on that TIME Magazine list). While I am inclined to believe both of these partial explanations, they do not tell the full story. 

What we are missing is that conservative men in the Western world are starting to notice cracks in the proverbial glass ceiling. Male-dominated fields are no longer as male-dominated. Their institutions of power are under attack as they desperately try to keep hold of whatever they can salvage. This means that, in their minds, there is no more room for people like Thunberg. There is no more room for the disabled, the femme, or the youth. There is no more room for people who challenge the status quo that keeps them at the center of all decision-making when it comes to the health of our planet and the security of our posterity. 

To these men, trailblazing young women like Thunberg are sending a clear message: ‘make room, or we’ll take room.’ And what’s more- millions have her back.

Climate strikers in Manhattan – Photo by Greta Thunberg [ig: @gretathunberg]

Ceoli Jacoby is a second year journalism student at the University of Maryland. Her interests include politics, arts & culture, and social justice. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is a section editor at Unwind Magazine and writes for Stories Beneath the Shell.